777Leathers

New To Leather Seeks Help!

Hello,

I am new to the world of leather working and look forward to learning my new hobby! I look forward to sharing my projects with you all. I hope if I have any questions I can ask any of you veterans for advice! I have gone through the forums and see many helpful people on here.

I have seen some amazing work on here and hope one day to be as good as most of you on here.

My first project will be a knife sheath for a Bowie knife that I made with a antler bone handle. I bought a variety of leather tools for a basic beginning and hope to gather more as my experience grows.

Does anyone on here have any cool sheath ideas for a bowie?

I believe Chuck Burrows may have some learning material to help those who are new. Check him out....he is on LW.

That's how I got started. These are a couple I done before I started learning about how to really work leather. there not done well but it was fun. My advice is to start out doing things you like and enjoy so you will look forward to the next one and won't get overwhelmed or frustrated.

1530558_395534177250209_2014836942_n.jpg

1530558_395534177250209_2014836942_n.jpg

post-47316-0-11417900-1390695426_thumb.j

post-47316-0-31655900-1390695826_thumb.j

This is one made for a friend of mine. It was a great chance to try our some basket weave. If you need it, I will gather the information on how to lay out the pattern and welts for the sheath. Holler at me. Jim

Block and Basket.JPG

post-39965-0-30326800-1391346205_thumb.j

Jim,

HOLLER! I would be interested in th pattern and welt layout.

Thanks,

Tom

Jim,

HOLLER! I would be interested in th pattern and welt layout.

Thanks,

Tom

Keep in mind that all knives are NOT created equal, so I'm sending the basic "How To" on laying out patterns for knife sheaths. This is from a chapter of my first book and gives all the details for a variety of sheath designs. It gives the details for the basic outline, welts, and retainer straps. The rest is up to your imagination in the "how it's gonna look" department. Holler if you have any questions. Jim

Knife Sheaths.pdf

Edited by Brazos Jack

Keep in mind that all knives are NOT created equal, so I'm sending the basic "How To" on laying out patterns for knife sheaths. This is from a chapter of my first book and gives all the details for a variety of sheath designs. It gives the details for the basic outline, welts, and retainer straps. The rest is up to your imagination in the "how it's gonna look" department. Holler if you have any questions. Jim

Thank you for that! Im interested in your book. Do you have a website that you offer it from?

Thanks,

Chris

Ditto on your book website! :cowboy:

Sadly I no longer have a website but Double K leather sales carries my book and some of my patterns. Follow this link to the Book of Leatherwork. http://doublekleather.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/6082-02.jpg Jim

Sadly I no longer have a website but Double K leather sales carries my book and some of my patterns. Follow this link to the Book of Leatherwork. http://doublekleathe...uct/6082-02.jpg Jim

Thank you!!! I'm going to put this on my wish list!

Chris

You're more than welcome. Not to toot me own horn, but this book is a great guide to creating your own patterns for all sorts of projects - not just the ones shown! Any and every pattern I have ever made, published to personal, from mug wraps to cat muzzles were made with the same methods shown in the book. (Yes, I said cat muzzles.) It's easy to read and follow with a lot of my twisted wit and humor included so it doesn't get boring after two pages. Not to mention that my door is always open for questions about the content. Enjoy, Jim

Hi Brazos Jack

Wow thank you for the PDF! I have a beloved old Mora I want to make a sheath for. Your book goes on my wish list too.

Cheers, Toolingaround