A tote my wife had for a few years was falling apart, so for Christmas I thought I'd buy her a nice one made from leather...well the price of nice bags gave me a bit of sticker shock so I thought I'd make one myself. Not too bad for a first try. It's lined with pig skin so I could add a few interior pockets.

42847494-9229-41a3-8cac-c5d6ad78c453_zps

1206141812a_zpshtduf5cv.jpg

And since that one turned out OK, I thought I'd make something for myself. I found some details online and made the Doctor's bag. I'm really happy with how it turned out. A local leather shop turned me on to Wickett & Craig leather...which I must say was awesome to work with.

Thanks for looking.

1223142306_zpswn5id95g.jpg

1231141526a_zpsyywnwxey.jpg

1231141525b_zpsjv08arvy.jpg

excellent work. love the doctors bag.

Chris

Looks great! Nice color on the leather Oxblood?

Where did you get the metal frame for the doctors bag? I always wanted to make a tool bag like the old Klein bags.

Looks great! Nice color on the leather Oxblood?

Where did you get the metal frame for the doctors bag? I always wanted to make a tool bag like the old Klein bags.

Color is Fiebings British Tan.

I made the frame. Bought a piece of steel bar from a local metal supplier. It's an 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide and used Chicago screws to hold it together.

1224140957_zpsgfd8nnq9.jpg

Really cool! What did you line the doc bag with?

Really cool! What did you line the doc bag with?

Only the bottom is lined. I glued a thin galvanized steel plate to the bottom so it would keep it's shape, then glued a piece of 3oz leather over the metal. But that's it...no other lining at all. The sides are 3oz-4oz and the front, back, and bottom are 7oz-9oz.

These are your first two projects?! Really impressive. I've been too intimidated to try a doctor's bag. Great job!

Awesome work! Where did you get the doctor bag pattern? I'd love to try making one when I get the courage!!

That doctor's bag is fantastic! I would love to try my hand at one of those. The tote is really nice as well.

If those are actually your first attempts at leatherworking, you have some serious talent... Nice Job!