Leela Valley Leather

2Nd Prototype Of Tool Roll/bag For Bike Forks

Details:

3.5mm veg tan leather vinegarroon'd (and neutralised) then treated with neatsfoot oil before paraffin wax on the interior and bees wax on the exterior.

5mm high density felt pads to keep the tools off the chrome

Velcro loops for attachment to forks and the straps for the triple tree.

post-37147-0-83333000-1364090737_thumb.j post-37147-0-81936900-1364090745_thumb.j post-37147-0-84858000-1364090755_thumb.j post-37147-0-86633700-1364090767_thumb.j

Very nice! I feel silly now. I just made a bag last week and fought with 8-9oz veg tan for the body and 5-6oz gussets. Good to know that a lighter weight will hold up :)

Very nice! I feel silly now. I just made a bag last week and fought with 8-9oz veg tan for the body and 5-6oz gussets. Good to know that a lighter weight will hold up :)

The big factors in having these bags hold up is the shape and the wax that was melted into the flesh side, lending both rigidity and waterproofing. Having them securely mounted also reduces the flex.

What did you sew that with?

Please could you explain how you did the side stitching. I have been asked to make a pair of these and am clueless as to how to stitch them nicely. I dont have a machine so am hoping to figue out how to saddlestitch them.

Thanks again Leela!

Afro, I am confused by what you mean how? Like how are the sides connected to the bag? If so, you have to gouge the gussets so they fold and meet with the body of the bag. Contact cement them in place first and then you can stitch without trying to hold it together. It looks like one piece of leather and maybe that's why you are confused. It's not only one piece, Leela did a great job finishing the edges.

As for the how to saddle stitch, there are many tutorials out there to learn from. This is one of my favorites to view on youtube and he is a member here as well.

Edited by ReneeCanady