barbiesdude

What Type Of Screws For A Laporte Tree And Where?

I have talked to the guy I bought the tree from and he said to get stainless cap head wood screws in the various lengths. I have searched the internet over and cannot find what he is talking about. The regular oval head sheet metal type screws won't bite enough, needs to have a bigger flange on the threads. Any help would be appreciated.

Howdy There,

most the time I use pocket hole screws or something similar in any case most hardware store don't care these! find a specialty woodworking place like woodcraft they have every thing you would need. but they idea is to find a screw that won't rust and has a flat head or washer head.

617100-1.jpg

142250.jpg

post-6549-0-90093500-1390689412_thumb.jp

post-6549-0-22300100-1390689419_thumb.jp

Thanks jbird, I thought I looked at Woodcraft's site but I'll check again.

Another site to check is Mcmaster-Carr. I purchase most of my screws and nails from them. Their service is usually quick, and prices seem fair.

Ron

Can't seem to find the pocket hole wood screw with / truss head or washer head in 1" or 3/4". Is a flat head ok used with a cup washer?

I have been using drywall screws and the various lengths of wood screws available that mimic drywall screws. (coarse thread, not fine) I use very few tacks or bigger screws and can get a screw purchase and hold in pretty tough to reach places. Coupled with more than one driver for my power drill, including a long flexible one, its all just as handy as pockets on a shirt. The hold is great and I haven't had any new construction or repair come back because of them. And I really am old.

I have been using drywall screws and the various lengths of wood screws available that mimic drywall screws. (coarse thread, not fine) I use very few tacks or bigger screws and can get a screw purchase and hold in pretty tough to reach places. Coupled with more than one driver for my power drill, including a long flexible one, its all just as handy as pockets on a shirt. The hold is great and I haven't had any new construction or repair come back because of them. And I really am old.

Do you use the standard flat tapered head drywall screw with a cup washer? I was concerned about leather pulling through and corrosion. Everyone says brass, stainless, or some type of coating like for exterior purposes.

Just the screw, no washer. Once again I have had no comebacks. If you have some kind of application where the screw needs to handle direct pull instead of shear pull, I would review my build and look for ways to redirect some of the stress.

Thanks Toot, maybe I'm over thinking it a bit. I have been known to be a little anal about stuff.