Prince

Anyone know the price of these Weaver machines?

Anyone know the price of these Weaver machines?

http://www.leathersupply.com/demo_videos.php

Mainly the edger, strap cutter, and rotary punch. When making armor the most tedious part is making all the buckle straps and retainer straps. This would make my life so much easier.

edger - 795.00

strap cutter - 1295.00

rotary punch - 1480.00

Edited by Ian

Cool, thanks. Sounds about right all things considered. Doubt I could find them used, it's pretty hard to turn them up in a google search even it seems. Are these all new? I've actually never heard of Weaver till a day or two ago. Looks like they've got all sorts of stuff. Wonder how prices of tools, hardware, and leather compare to Tandy.

edger - 795.00

strap cutter - 1295.00

rotary punch - 1480.00

Cool, thanks. Sounds about right all things considered. Doubt I could find them used, it's pretty hard to turn them up in a google search even it seems. Are these all new? I've actually never heard of Weaver till a day or two ago. Looks like they've got all sorts of stuff. Wonder how prices of tools, hardware, and leather compare to Tandy.

Weaver has the best catalog I've ever seen in the leather industry, very informative as well as educational. It is not only a catalog but a resource as well. Currently Weaver is helping me custom order solid brass tubular rivets: head dia. 7/16/ post outer dia. 4.5 mm/ post length 12/16".

Weaver is a wholesale company. If you have a tax number, you can open an account. Thier prices on hardware are genrerally about 1/4 Tandy's price, and they have a lot higher quality available too. Leather is lower priced, but roughly the same as Wickett and Craig. They also carry Hermann Oak. Tools are a lot cheaper too, and again they carry a very good line of Weaver branded tools

Weaver is a wholesale company. If you have a tax number, you can open an account. Thier prices on hardware are genrerally about 1/4 Tandy's price, and they have a lot higher quality available too. Leather is lower priced, but roughly the same as Wickett and Craig. They also carry Hermann Oak. Tools are a lot cheaper too, and again they carry a very good line of Weaver branded tools

Wow, crazy. Is that compared to the tandy business prices though? if it is I'll be really surprised

Wow, crazy. Is that compared to the tandy business prices though? if it is I'll be really surprised

That's the way with all wholesale prices. Obviously dealers need to make a profit. In the case of franchises, the company needs to double the cost to cover their expenses and make a profit. They then sell the item to their franchisees who in turn need to double the price. It is never fair to compare wholesale and retail prices. I don't have a Tandy price list, but here's one item you can do a quick price comparisson. 1 inch nickle plated steel roller buckle - Weaver - .16 cents (less in quantity)

That's the way with all wholesale prices. Obviously dealers need to make a profit. In the case of franchises, the company needs to double the cost to cover their expenses and make a profit. They then sell the item to their franchisees who in turn need to double the price. It is never fair to compare wholesale and retail prices. I don't have a Tandy price list, but here's one item you can do a quick price comparisson. 1 inch nickle plated steel roller buckle - Weaver - .16 cents (less in quantity)

.40 cents for roller buckle and .90 for the center bar roller buckle

Looks like I've spent a lot more money than I needed to for quite a while.

I've been thinking about getting a Weaver mallet and some edgers. There has been some discussion in the past about very high quality and expensive edgers that keep their edge. How do Weaver's edgers compare at $24 instead of $80?

Does anyone know if the head on a Weaver mallet is replaceable?

Ed

I've been thinking about getting a Weaver mallet and some edgers. There has been some discussion in the past about very high quality and expensive edgers that keep their edge. How do Weaver's edgers compare at $24 instead of $80?

Ed

Don't know about the mallets, but my Weaver edgers are excellent - cut like butter - best 24 bucks you'll ever spend. I also have their strap end punches - fantastic!

Hi Ed,

The mauls used to be made by Barry King, and may still be, but I don't know for sure, just call Barry and order one. I think the mallets were made by Barry too, and all that stuff is replaceable.

Art

Ed

Hi Ed,

The mauls used to be made by Barry King, and may still be, but I don't know for sure, just call Barry and order one. I think the mallets were made by Barry too, and all that stuff is replaceable.

Art

Thanks , Art. I did call Weaver and ask about the replaceability of the mallet head, thinking that their picture of the mallet looked a lot like what I've seen in pictures of a BK mallet. I was told the head isn't replaceable. I'll call again, and I'll call Barry.

Art, I've never used one of these mallets. While it would be nice to hold several in my hand to feel the balance, I don't Was told it isn't have that option. Which weight do you think would be best for cutting out 2" ovals with a mallet cutting die? Since I want to stay with at least a 3" dia striking surface, my choice with the Barry King mallet , going on Weaver's specs, seems to be 48 oz or 64 oz. Because I would never want to use my 4 lbs mini sledge hammer, due to its weight being difficult to control, I'm thinking about the BK three-pounder, though the balance on these mallets are probably a lot more user-friendly than that of my sledge hammer, which seems to be weight for the sake of weight.

I would also be using this mallet to set the Belgian Jiffy rivets.

Ed

Don't know about the mallets, but my Weaver edgers are excellent - cut like butter - best 24 bucks you'll ever spend. I also have their strap end punches - fantastic!

Ian,

Do the Weaver edgers round off the edge or do they leave an angled edge? Which sizes do you seem to use most frequently?

Thanks,

Ed

Just got off the phone with Barry King. Weaver does indeed sell Barry King mauls and mallets. I ordered from BK a three-pound maul and a three-pound mallet. I am very happy to no longer be using that light-weight yellow-headed mallet.

Ed

Az,

I have the Rotary Punch, its a Randal R74 (I think, maybe 76...) contact Randall direct. I LOVE mine. (if you are in NH/VT, come try it!)

The edger they offer is nice, I like it. Not perfect but it saves time.

I use a Morpan Strap cutter for my belts/slings. Works AWESOME!

Andy

Hi Ed,

I do not use mallets, I was turned off to them eons ago by that stupid little rawhide hammer Tandy sells. For setting stuff, I used to use the 22oz and bigger Maul Master thing that John Bianchi designed, it is great for general stuff wacking. However for setting difficult stuff like large stamps, makers marks, and cutting, I find the Barry King 96oz maul to be quite effective. I have always liked the Maul over the Mallet, and for me, I feel that Mallet needs more attention to the business end of the Mallet and the Maul allows more attention to the business end of the tool. It is all a matter of what you like. With hammers and mallets, you need to look at the end of the thing you hit, with the maul I can look at the tool tip.

Art

Thanks , Art. I did call Weaver and ask about the replaceability of the mallet head, thinking that their picture of the mallet looked a lot like what I've seen in pictures of a BK mallet. I was told the head isn't replaceable. I'll call again, and I'll call Barry.

Art, I've never used one of these mallets. While it would be nice to hold several in my hand to feel the balance, I don't Was told it isn't have that option. Which weight do you think would be best for cutting out 2" ovals with a mallet cutting die? Since I want to stay with at least a 3" dia striking surface, my choice with the Barry King mallet , going on Weaver's specs, seems to be 48 oz or 64 oz. Because I would never want to use my 4 lbs mini sledge hammer, due to its weight being difficult to control, I'm thinking about the BK three-pounder, though the balance on these mallets are probably a lot more user-friendly than that of my sledge hammer, which seems to be weight for the sake of weight.

I would also be using this mallet to set the Belgian Jiffy rivets.

Ed

Hi Art,

I was worried about getting too heavy a mallet/maul, as my 4 lbs mini sledge hammer feels much too heavy to control when trying to hit a 3/4" diameter head. I use the sledge for caps on tubular rivets.

Intuition told me that it might be difficult to hit a narrow target squarely with the rounded surface of a maul, but Barry King told me otherwise. What you write here also seems spot on, as always.

Thanks,

ed

Hi Ed,

I do not use mallets, I was turned off to them eons ago by that stupid little rawhide hammer Tandy sells. For setting stuff, I used to use the 22oz and bigger Maul Master thing that John Bianchi designed, it is great for general stuff wacking. However for setting difficult stuff like large stamps, makers marks, and cutting, I find the Barry King 96oz maul to be quite effective. I have always liked the Maul over the Mallet, and for me, I feel that Mallet needs more attention to the business end of the Mallet and the Maul allows more attention to the business end of the tool. It is all a matter of what you like. With hammers and mallets, you need to look at the end of the thing you hit, with the maul I can look at the tool tip.

Art