Sign in to follow this  
checkers78

Rivet In Saddle Rings

Hello all. My name is Kris. I am attempting to build my first saddle. I recently purchased some Horse Shoe Brand in skirt rings. I have been told that they are not as good as the brass or bronze 550 rings. I am having a hard time locating a supplier. Been to Bork's site.But it looks as though they want established customers. Maybe I am wrong. Anyways. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can purchase them? Thank you.

I didn't know that Herb and Nadine Bork actually had a site. Thanks for pointing that out to us! As far as I know they would take your order. I haven't heard that they are turning away new customers. And they make very good hardware. You won't be disappointed. They are very nice people too. Give them a call. Just make sure you have a lot of time when you do...

I know weaver leather has the plain ones like the HS brand. But you need a tax number to buy from them.

Chris Cheney (Harwood Hardware)

1716 N 3000 W

Rexburg, ID 83440

(208) 359-5860

Hello all. My name is Kris. I am attempting to build my first saddle. I recently purchased some Horse Shoe Brand in skirt rings. I have been told that they are not as good as the brass or bronze 550 rings. I am having a hard time locating a supplier. Been to Bork's site.But it looks as though they want established customers. Maybe I am wrong. Anyways. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can purchase them? Thank you.

Chris Cheney (Harwood Hardware)

1716 N 3000 W

Rexburg, ID 83440

(208) 359-5860

Chris has takenover harwood hardware which is the best hardware available at this time IMO. the watt hardware will work but it is curved away from the horse which I would prefer it not to be, the harwoods are not curved. the rivet holes in the harwoods are even from one side to the next, the borks are not always even which makes installing them a little more difficult. the harwoods rivet holes are also made for a #8 rivet. In regards to the brass/bronze issue or stainless steel, stainless is the hardest of the three and they will last the longest,manganese bronze is a much harder steel than brass, brass will wear out to fast if the saddle sees a lot of use, borks are made from manganese bronze. Do not buy riggin hardware that is made from brass. chris has a website www.cheneycustom.com

there is a link for harwood hardware

Steve

Hi Checker78,

The Borks are super nice folks. When I first called them Mrs. Bork was a little reluctant about just sending hardware without money in hand. At that time they did not take credit cards.

I just assured her I was a honest fellow.and not to worry.

Hey Steve Mason! I respect you huge as a saddle maker, but I like Brass and have never seen Brass rigging ware out. I've been looking to see if you have made a saddle recently, nothin to drool over in the morning.

That 8 string you did is one of the finest rigs I have ever seen ( classy).

Billy

Edited by Billy H

Hey Steve Mason! I respect you huge as a saddle maker, but I like Brass and have never seen Brass rigging ware out. I've been looking to see if you have made a saddle recently, nothin to drool over in the morning.

That 8 string you did is one of the finest rigs I have ever seen ( classy).

Billy

Billy I have repaired and seen many saddles over the years that have had brass hardware wear outn both on riggin rings and other dees and buckles etc, i have yet to see any stainless hardware wear out. As I stated Borks and harwoods are not brass hardware they are maganese bronze so they will wear fine. But there is many other riggin hardwar available that is made of brass and will wear out if the saddle is rode and cowboyed out of like most the saddles I build are. If brass riggin hardware suits you and your saddles thats fine, but it a no go in my shop. I do use brass hardware in some cases since it is all I can find in certain buckles ,dees, rings etc.

Steve

ps;thanks for the compliments on the 8 string saddle, and I just reread my post here and I hope it does not come across as offensive as that is not how is sounds in my head while I type, but you can't read emotion in typing on these darn keyboards. :)

Hi Steve, You don't come across offensive to me at all, your just stating what you have experienced and what you be believe in.

I like to read and hear what people have to say, it is a good way to learn ( I'm always learning and hope I never stop). I have not been a Saddle Maker for very long, but I have been around saddles and horses all of my life and have never seen a Brass Rigging wear out. I did see a Brass Rigging Ring break--- it was on one of my Dads saddles. He would load his horses saddled into the stock truck, some how got the rigging snagged on a ty ring, horse got stupid and in the end the saddle got torn up and so did the horse.(I think it was a good thing that the ring broke, could have been really ugly)

I am no metallurgist, I needed to look up what #70 manganese bronze alloy is, sounds a whole lot stronger than solid brass.

I hope that I didn't come across as a smart ass, it was not my intention. I figure a forum is a good place to give thoughts and ideas and experiences---a good way to learn.

Respectfully, Billy