Johanna

Boy Scout leatherworking badge requirements

1. Identify and demonstrate to your counselor the safe use of leatherworking tools. Show

correct procedures for handling leathercraft dyes, cements, and finished. Know first aid for

cuts, internal poisoning, and skin irritation.

2. Explain to your counselor

a. Where leather comes from

b. What kinds of hides are used to make leather

c. What are five types of leather

d. What are the best uses for each type of leather

3. Make one or more articles of leather that use at least five of the following steps:

a. Pattern layout and transfer

b. Cutting leather

c. Punching holes

d. Carving or stamping surface designs.

e. Applying dye or stain and finish to the project.

f. Assembly by lacing or stitching

g. Setting snaps and rivets

h. Dressing edges

4. Recondition or show that you can take proper care of your shoes, a baseball glove, a saddle,

furniture or other articles of leather.

5. Do ONE of the following:

a. Learn about the commercial tanning process. Report about it to your merit badge

counselor.

b. Tan the skin of a small animal. Describe the safety precautions you will take and the

tanning method that you used.

c. Braid or plait an article out of leather or vinyl lace.

d. Visit a leather-related business. This could be a leathercraft supply company, a

tannery, a leather goods or shoe factory, or a saddle shop. Report on your visit to your

counselor.

BSA Advancement ID#: 69

Source: Boy Scout Requirements, #33215, revised 2004

We do the Leathercraft Merit Badge with the scouts on Saturday by appointment.

They usually do leather stamping as opposed to tooling, carving.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the planning that some of the boys put into their belts and the talent that comes through as they make them.

Thank you for sharing the BSA information.

Sandi

Like Sandi, I've been surprised by boys' planning. I have most often worked with church groups, and have found young boys to be at least as artistic as the girls. I think the problem is that without groups like the Scouts, this creativity is squashed right out of them.

Like Sandi, I've been surprised by boys' planning. I have most often worked with church groups, and have found young boys to be at least as artistic as the girls. I think the problem is that without groups like the Scouts, this creativity is squashed right out of them.

I can definitely agree that the creativity is squashed right out of them. Especially if they earn the merit badge at summer camp as most of the scouts do. The majority of the counselors dont show them what else there is to leather than stamping. a common misconseption is the kids just wont get it. Well I beg to differ.

I have done several merit badge clinics for troops in my area, and do stamping projects for the merit badge. But I also do an advanced class in which I start the basics of carving. And once they figure out how to use a swivel knife, they turn out some reallly nice work and with refinement, I see future masters of the craft.

I have attached a picture of one carving project. It looks rough to our standards, but it was done by an 11 year old.

I guess what I am trying to say is dont be afraid to teach the advanced topics, they might like it.

BTW at the end of my class, each kid walks away with a carved coaster, carved wallet with braided edges, and a moulded leather rose. The most popular is the rose.

Happy Tooling

DSC00010.JPG

post-50-1152458073_thumb.jpg

Thinking of my younger days. Leatherworking was one of the first merit badges I got.

Chip Iley

Boy Scout Troop 427

Edgemere,MD

Eagle 1994

I realize this thread is a little old, but I thought I'd add a different perspective to it. The BSA requires us to stick exactly to the letter of the book, we are not allowed to require more and cannot accept less than exactly what the badge requires. Having said that, there are no prohibitions against exploring the topic (any of them) further after the badge requirements are all met IF the boys choose to do so. One of the drawbacks is the time required to complete a project, and the time allotted during camp...there just isn't enough time to do all that we' like to do and as in depth as we'd like to. The program is set up to allow the boys an opportunity to learn the basics of several different skills....they are not expected to become masters in one camp. As BSA leaders, we should be on the lookout for those topics or subject that a boy really takes off on and be ready to point him to "the expert" in the local area or know where to find more information about it. This site is an excellent example of one of those resources I plan on pointing my boys to in the future. Keep up the good work and encouraging words!

Well said Dave!

I loved teaching LW to the scouts at camp in Nov and I plan to keep doing it. I did have to plan certain aspects and make some desicions ahead of time to make sure they finished the merit badge at camp.

I had them stamp instead of carve and I set the snaps and rivets for them. I also had them leave their project natural and used the Fiebings sheen spray to finishing the projects.

This got them 6 of the 8 requirements under item #3. The minimum was 5. For boys in my Troop who want to go further, I set aside time at our campouts and bring all my tools and dyes with me.

They have all loved working with leather. I could babble on byt I gotta run to work!