mikesmith648

Vinegroon.............my First Batch Ever

I started a batch of Roon the other day and just now tried it out..................OMG it is easy and fantastic!! I cant believe anything else was so simple and easy to use. Thanks to all the posts on how to make it...I was skeptical at first but I am now a believer!!

Thanks to all the posts on how to make it

Same here!

Yesterday I started experimenting with a solution of ferric nitrate which was mentioned by Chuck Burrows for cutting the corners. I'm very pleased with the outcome so far. No hassle

with steel wool and vinegar - instant vinegaroon without vinegar.

On the dark side: A pound of ferric nitrate cost me about 40€. But as far as I can see this quantity should last for quite a while, provided that I apply the brew with a brush and not as a dipping bath.

Edited by LederRudi

Make sure to soak your steel wool and vinegar at least two weeks. It starts working on the second day but needs all the time to really get good.

Same here!

Yesterday I started experimenting with a solution of ferric nitrate which was mentioned by Chuck Burrows for cutting the corners. I'm very pleased with the outcome so far. No hassle

with steel wool and vinegar - instant vinegaroon without vinegar.

The plus side is that there isn't any of the stink you get with vinegar and steel wool method. You also don't need to wait for weeks or filter out the excess rust, oily residue, and other gunk that comes along with the vinegar and steel wool.

I've found it's best to pour the batch through a coffee filter to remove the gunk. Also, I haven't seen it posted in a while, but just a reminder to neutralize the "rooned" area with some baking soda water after it's dried.