Hello! I'm looking for an easier way to figure out gunbelt lengths.I'm setting on a order that I've been given customers pant size.It's to be a surprise for him.Is there a way to figure gun belt length just useing pant size?He wears a size 38 in jeans.Thanks for any help...Ken

The only way to get a truly good fitting gun belt on him is to measure one of his belts. Things you need to consider: What type of gun will he be carrying? IWB or OWB? What position (yeah, I know, some folks will say it doesn't matter)? How are the jeans cut?( I wear a different size in one Levi's than in Wrangler) Steel frames weigh more than polymer so more support is needed.

An example of how all this ties together: I normally wear a size 36 in jeans and work pants, but I buy size 38. Why? Because I carry IWB and the extra size on the pants allows for more comfortable carry. What I carry is a 1911. Because of the wardrobe allowance, I can get away with a wide body semiauto pistol, but revolvers get a bit uncomfortable. If I wear the correct size, it's uncomfortable to have ANY gun IWB. For OWB, it's less of an issue of pants size, but the width and stiffness (temper) of the belt is more crucial to stabilize the weapon. If I don't carry, I just 'belt up' the extra space.

My suggestion, if you can't accurately measure one of his belts, is to make 38" the midpoint of the belt holes. And, make a medium temper belt if you have nothing else to go on.

Are you asking about western style or IWB/OWB. If it's western style some are low slung or worn at a slight angle which would be a longer belt.

charlie

Without an actual measurement it is very difficult to assure a proper fit. And, as TwinOaks has pointed out, IWB carry will usually require an increase in both trouser and belt size.

I wear size 34 trousers, but my belts measure 36.5" from tip of buckle to tongue hole in use. This closely matches the results of my customers actual measurements, with 2 to 3 inches added to trouser size being the norm. For IWB carry I recommend adding 2 inches to belt length, and this seems to work well for most folks.

For carrying a holstered handgun I always recommend a sturdy belt. Belts of lightweight construction, and narrow belts in general, require tightening to an uncomfortable degree in efforts to stabilize the weight of a holstered handgun. For light to medium weight handguns I recommend 9-10 oz. leather belts. For medium to heavy weight handguns I recommend belts (usually lined) of about 12-14 oz. combined weight. For heaviest applications I recommend combined weight of about 14-16 oz. These combinations will support the weight and anchor the holstered handgun without undue tightening.

The customer's usual wardrobe may raise another issue. Many trousers have belt loops that will not accept belts over about 1.25" width. Most casual trousers will accept 1.5" belt width. Jeans will usually accept 1.75" belt width. This will vary, but the point is that not everyone's wardrobe will be the same due to manufacturing variations.

During my years working in plain clothes assignments I always did a number of things when buying new suits: 1. the material cut off from trousers while sewing cuffs to length can be saved and used to make belt loops of appropriate size for the belts to be used; 2. belt loops can be sewn on at locations that will not interfere with holster placement; 3. I always had a layer of light canvas sewn into suit coats around the waist to minimize "printing" of the holstered handgun. Interestingly, such alterations made the clothing a tax-deductible business expense while also making the clothing much more usable for the intended purpose.

Probably more information than justken asked for, but this summarizes my thoughts on gun belts. The best belt in the world won't be used if it won't fit the belt loops. The best holster in the world won't be used if it isn't comfortable. Everything must work together to achieve the desired goals.

Best regards.

Without an actual measurement it is very difficult to assure a proper fit. And, as TwinOaks has pointed out, IWB carry will usually require an increase in both trouser and belt size.

I wear size 34 trousers, but my belts measure 36.5" from tip of buckle to tongue hole in use. This closely matches the results of my customers actual measurements, with 2 to 3 inches added to trouser size being the norm. For IWB carry I recommend adding 2 inches to belt length, and this seems to work well for most folks.

For carrying a holstered handgun I always recommend a sturdy belt. Belts of lightweight construction, and narrow belts in general, require tightening to an uncomfortable degree in efforts to stabilize the weight of a holstered handgun. For light to medium weight handguns I recommend 9-10 oz. leather belts. For medium to heavy weight handguns I recommend belts (usually lined) of about 12-14 oz. combined weight. For heaviest applications I recommend combined weight of about 14-16 oz. These combinations will support the weight and anchor the holstered handgun without undue tightening.

The customer's usual wardrobe may raise another issue. Many trousers have belt loops that will not accept belts over about 1.25" width. Most casual trousers will accept 1.5" belt width. Jeans will usually accept 1.75" belt width. This will vary, but the point is that not everyone's wardrobe will be the same due to manufacturing variations.

During my years working in plain clothes assignments I always did a number of things when buying new suits: 1. the material cut off from trousers while sewing cuffs to length can be saved and used to make belt loops of appropriate size for the belts to be used; 2. belt loops can be sewn on at locations that will not interfere with holster placement; 3. I always had a layer of light canvas sewn into suit coats around the waist to minimize "printing" of the holstered handgun. Interestingly, such alterations made the clothing a tax-deductible business expense while also making the clothing much more usable for the intended purpose.

Probably more information than justken asked for, but this summarizes my thoughts on gun belts. The best belt in the world won't be used if it won't fit the belt loops. The best holster in the world won't be used if it isn't comfortable. Everything must work together to achieve the desired goals.

Best regards.

Gotta agree totally with Lobo. When I was in plain clothes, I always had the belt loops location and length altered on my strong side (I'm a southpaw) and wore a 1 3/4" 9 oz. belt, reinforced with a layer of 4 oz backing. Didn't wear a suit coat very much except for court wear so I didn't worry about printing. Normal wear here in the desert we wore a dress shirt, casual dress trousers and (shined) boots that got screwed up as soon as you started tracking or working any scene outside of the main part of a town. For a western style gunbelt and holster I find, as a general rule, about 3" additional length is needed for a proper fit. Mike

Just to add, most men are in denial about their pants size. A customer will gladly tell you he wears size 36 jeans, but he will invariably forget to mention that they are extra loose fit and it still takes about 15 minutes after he puts them on for them to stretch enough so he can bend over. I don't know how many times a customer has been emotionally crushed when I have had him measure his belt for actual size to find out it is several inches longer than he thought it should be. On an interesting note, I have had more than one female customer just give me one of their belts to measure myself because they didn't want to know their actual belt measurement.....

Concerning your friend, try to get one of his belts to measure off of if possible. If that isn't an option and you have to make a wild guess, just look at whether or not he has a gut, how tightly his pants fit, if he tucks he shirt in and consider what he will be using the bet for. That should help you decide how much length to add on.

Just to add, most men are in denial about their pants size. A customer will gladly tell you he wears size 36 jeans, but he will invariably forget to mention that they are extra loose fit and it still takes about 15 minutes after he puts them on for them to stretch enough so he can bend over. I don't know how many times a customer has been emotionally crushed when I have had him measure his belt for actual size to find out it is several inches longer than he thought it should be. On an interesting note, I have had more than one female customer just give me one of their belts to measure myself because they didn't want to know their actual belt measurement.....

Concerning your friend, try to get one of his belts to measure off of if possible. If that isn't an option and you have to make a wild guess, just look at whether or not he has a gut, how tightly his pants fit, if he tucks he shirt in and consider what he will be using the bet for. That should help you decide how much length to add on.

As a case in point, . . . I made myself a belt a couple of years back (first one in a long time, . . . too, . . . ) by just laying it beside my favorite belt. It fit, . . . no problems, . . . all is well.

THEN, . . . I decided I wanted another belt, . . . a harness belt this time, . . . knowing it is a different process, . . . took off my new belt and laid the measuring tape on it. "UGH," I cried, . . . my tape has shrunk. It says I'm wearing a 39 in belt, . . . but my jeans are 36's, . . . something is surely wrong.

Yeah, . . . it was, . . . and it was not the tape. Jeans had ballooned up with me, . . . tape sat quietly in the drawer awaiting its day of glory.

Long and short, . . . use a measuring tape, . . . or a belt you know fits. No other way is really reliable. A "kinda, . . . mmmm, . . . sorta, . . . good" rule of thumb, . . . OWB holsters need no additional belt size, . . . IWB for a 1911, XD, Glock, most revolvers: add 2 inches, . . . cowboy gun belt: add 4 inches.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks everyone!This customer is about 2200 miles from me.Thay are looking at getting him a late 1800's style cartridge belt.He'll be carrying a 45lc ruger.SASS kind of rig.Was hopeing there was a quick and easy formula.In past have always been able to have folks measure themselves,but this is(was) going to be a surprise for him.Just adding a couple of inches seems kind of hit-miss.Don't help not knowing how low he'll be carrying.Think I'll end up telling them I have to have him measured.Thanks again...Ken Smith

Ken, I assure you that the surprise of getting a custom belt will be that much better knowing that it'll fit correctly.

Ken,

Most of my work is stuff for SASS, mostly gun belts and holsters. As mentioned in several of the other replies, getting an exact measurement of where the gun belt will be worn is always the best. If you can't get that measurement, have his family measure a pants belt he wears regularly from the most comfortable hole to where the buckle tongue touches the inside of the buckle. The old rule of thumb for making Western gunbelts is to make the belt 4" longer than the pants' belt measurement. Your estimated length should be from the center hole of the billet to where the buckle tongue touches the inside of the buckle.

Traditionally, on a Ranger style gun belt, the billet with the belt holes has 5 holes spaced about 3/4" inch apart. To help make sure my belts fit, I use 7 holes in my billets and I space them an inch apart. I also use an oval hole punch instead of a round one. This method gives me a 7" range and customers are fine if the belt is one space off from fitting perfectly. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Traditionally, on a Ranger style gun belt, the billet with the belt holes has 5 holes spaced about 3/4" inch apart. To help make sure my belts fit, I use 7 holes in my billets and I space them an inch apart. I also use an oval hole punch instead of a round one. This method gives me a 7" range and customers are fine if the belt is one space off from fitting perfectly. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Actually, I really like your spacing theory, . . . that is how I do all my belts. It gives me a cushion in case he/she gained/lost a few pounds since the measurement, . . . and it gives them the opportunity to enjoy the belt a bit longer if they are in a gaining or losing frenzy.

I also figure that they will be satisfied longer with my product, . . . and may call me again next time.

May God bless,

Dwight

Actually, I really like your spacing theory, . . . that is how I do all my belts. It gives me a cushion in case he/she gained/lost a few pounds since the measurement, . . . and it gives them the opportunity to enjoy the belt a bit longer if they are in a gaining or losing frenzy.

I also figure that they will be satisfied longer with my product, . . . and may call me again next time.

May God bless,

Dwight

Whilst we dont make holsters we make and sell a lot of bridle leather belts and this is exactly what we do as well. 7 holes 1" apart starting 4" from the tip of the belt with the aim being the customer wearing the belt on the centre hole. As a rule of thumb I always say trouser side + 2", but measuring an existing belt and adding 1" if its mad from poor leather is the best thing.

HTH

Charlie