Sign in to follow this  
Saint

Tips On Maintaining C. S. Osborne & Co Punches

Hello everyone,

I am new to all of this and have been buying tools like a mad man. I purchased an 8 piece set of C.S. Osborne & Co round punches sizes 3/16 to 1 inch. in a canvas roll. I got these off of Ebay for $40.00 and they look like they have never been used. The paint is flaking a bit and very light surface rust. This may sound stupid but would you "strop" a punch? or are punches an item that you use till dull then resharpen? Should I remove the paint that is flaking? (and if so what would be the best way not to damage the tools?)

Thanks for any advise!

Saint

That nasty old flakey paint can get into soft places in the leather, I would clean that off first.

Anything you use to cut leather can benefit from a stropping. Make sure you hold the tools so the cutting end is away from you, pulling towards you. Roll the punches in your fingers as you dress them.

ferg

Hello everyone,

I am new to all of this and have been buying tools like a mad man. I purchased an 8 piece set of C.S. Osborne & Co round punches sizes 3/16 to 1 inch. in a canvas roll. I got these off of Ebay for $40.00 and they look like they have never been used. The paint is flaking a bit and very light surface rust. This may sound stupid but would you "strop" a punch? or are punches an item that you use till dull then resharpen? Should I remove the paint that is flaking? (and if so what would be the best way not to damage the tools?)

Thanks for any advise!

Saint

To remove the paint, you could simply rub the area with steel wool. Be sure to wipe the punch clean after using the steel wool, as it could cause staining of certain leathers.