snubbyfan

Wet Molded Holster

This is my latest version of a wet molded concealed carry belt holster. I think I finally got a design I like.

post-37519-0-47060900-1356407536_thumb.j

If that is the first one you ever made, . . . well, . . . "Good Job" should be said.

Not meaning to sound too awful critical though, . . . if you have an extra bit of leather laying around, . . . try one more.

If you do, . . . make two changed: 1) tape a 3/16" dowel rod to the top of your revolver during the molding process, . . . it makes a sight channel so your front sight doesen't dig up the inside of your hoslter, . . . and 2) starting at the back side of your trigger guard, . . . take the line of the front of the holster up to the center of the hammer.

When you have the holster all molded, . . . draw the gun out, . . . take your thumb, . . . and roll ever so slightly the outside edge of the holster outward. Don't make it look like a funnel, . . . just a very slight outward turn of the whole top rim, . . . you will be amazed at the rigidity and strength it will add to the front of your holster.

But it for sure is a good job, . . . I don't show folks my first one, . . . even though I still have it, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

If that is the first one you ever made, . . . well, . . . "Good Job" should be said.

Not meaning to sound too awful critical though, . . . if you have an extra bit of leather laying around, . . . try one more.

If you do, . . . make two changed: 1) tape a 3/16" dowel rod to the top of your revolver during the molding process, . . . it makes a sight channel so your front sight doesen't dig up the inside of your hoslter, . . . and 2) starting at the back side of your trigger guard, . . . take the line of the front of the holster up to the center of the hammer.

When you have the holster all molded, . . . draw the gun out, . . . take your thumb, . . . and roll ever so slightly the outside edge of the holster outward. Don't make it look like a funnel, . . . just a very slight outward turn of the whole top rim, . . . you will be amazed at the rigidity and strength it will add to the front of your holster.

But it for sure is a good job, . . . I don't show folks my first one, . . . even though I still have it, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I did pinch the wet leather up to provide clearance for the front sight. I like your idea of the dowel rod, I'm sure I have something in my garage I can use. I have degenerative peripheral neuropathy causing a weakness in my right hand and wrist and since people are actually requesting my holsters I had to figure out a design I can make taking my neuropathy into account. It's basically 2 parallel lines with rounded corners. I was thinking of bringing the hammer side up further but if I molded it over the back of the cylinder I was afraid there'd be too much retention and not molding it'd be unsightly. As it is the retention is "just right."

It's actually my third holster. My first is a thumbbreak, second is my first molded holster cut to clear my snubbies laser, this one's actually been paid for and is getting sent out tomorrow. I've got more to make for others and I'll try that rolling out the top idea.

I do appreciate the comments It'll help give me ideas for future projects.

post-37519-0-06295500-1356493985_thumb.j

post-37519-0-46164800-1356494022_thumb.j