Untied

Can Anyone Date My Pincers?

I just got these and I wondered if anyone can estimate their age. The pivot joint is interesting to me, not made like modern pliers or scissors; the top goes through the bottom piece, and looks like it's welded somehow to the bottom handle. There's a very similar pair on pg 123 of Foxfire 6, but he doesn't say how old the tool is. The side shown almost looks like that gnarly, pitted looking wrought iron, but the other side of the pincers is smooth.

post-38856-0-73887600-1360793387_thumb.j

post-38856-0-94602600-1360793407_thumb.j

I don't know how old yours are, but I have a pair like them that I've had for 45 years, and mine were pretty old when I got them. I think mine say R. Timmons and Sons, with a large no.3, and "warranted steel hammer" located on the hammer part. Some further research might give some more information. I got mine from the Saddle Maker that I apprenticed under and he was in his 80's at that time. Instead of pincers or lasting pincers, he said saddle makers always called them "Bull Pliers", and I think I visually know why!