Ken Nelson

edge burnishers

I have seen it at the Pendleton show. It is a felt type wheel and seemed to work ok. The weaver one is a wood wheel. In my opinion it seems to be faster but I dont know if the edge will hold up after burnishing as well as it would using the wood wheel and canvas. I think it is a good product I just havent really tried it . It is really fast I do know that.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Has anyone been around the fantastic edge burnisher. Does anyone know how it compares to the Weaver unit?

Thanks. Ken

I have one and it works great as long as you are using beeswax/parafin to finish your edges. Essentially it is the same as the edge finisher that John Bianchi shows in his holster making DVDs. I use it exclusivley for belts , much faster and equally good as the Weaver. The Weaver outfit is good but really pricey for no more than you are getting.

I picked up a nice mini-lathe last week and plan to try my hand at making burnishers out of mesquite. Mesquite is a very hard wood and I have about 20 acres of it to pick from. Stay tuned.

Has anyone been around the fantastic edge burnisher. Does anyone know how it compares to the Weaver unit?

Thanks. Ken

Ken,

I think that making a comparison between the two is comparing apples and oranges. They each have their place but do not really perform the same. I have never used the fantastic burnisher...I have only seen the video demonstrations. It appears to me to be a really fast system. Weaver's system performs more functions but probably doesn't burnish as quickly. In my opinion the Weaver system would be a little more versatile and easier to use on different thicknesses of leather. I think you would probably need to decide what you would need the most....speed with some limitations on weight of the leather to be burnished, or more verstility with more effort or steps required for burnishing. With the Fantastic edge burnisher you must dye the edge before burnishing because the wax used prevents you from dying the edge after burnishing. I personally do not like to dye first because I cannot get as clean a dye line on an unburnished edge. So I like to burnish using heavy canvas and saddle soap so that I can dye my edge after burnishing. I use a Weaver system that I modified, however I am not trying to get a lot of edge burnishing done quickly and I think this is probably where the Fantastic system shines. Here's a link to the method I use.....Finishing Edges

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Ken,

I think that making a comparison between the two is comparing apples and oranges. They each have their place but do not really perform the same. I have never used the fantastic burnisher...I have only seen the video demonstrations. It appears to me to be a really fast system. Weaver's system performs more functions but probably doesn't burnish as quickly. In my opinion the Weaver system would be a little more versatile and easier to use on different thicknesses of leather. I think you would probably need to decide what you would need the most....speed with some limitations on weight of the leather to be burnished, or more verstility with more effort or steps required for burnishing. With the Fantastic edge burnisher you must dye the edge before burnishing because the wax used prevents you from dying the edge after burnishing. I personally do not like to dye first because I cannot get as clean a dye line on an unburnished edge. So I like to burnish using heavy canvas and saddle soap so that I can dye my edge after burnishing. I use a Weaver system that I modified, however I am not trying to get a lot of edge burnishing done quickly and I think this is probably where the Fantastic system shines. Here's a link to the method I use.....Finishing Edges

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Thanks for the post. I really like the looks of the Weaver machine but cannot justify the cost at this time. Guess I will find a shop I can borrow and build one. By the way, your edge work is the very best I have ever seen. All you do is very good. I think you should think about building a few saddles. Not a doubt, you would do well on your first try. Ken