AntiqueArts

What Kind Of A Singer Is This? Please Help!

Hello Leatherworkers!

I need help with this singer machine, im unable to find any information about the model or functions, i dont know if this is a sewing machine or a perforating machine, or what use is intended for.

Serial number is 9375745

Please if you can tell me anything about this rare machine it would be appreciated, Thanks!

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

Edited by AntiqueArts

This machine looks like a real old 16 class Singer.Can you post a picture of the bobbin case underneath?

I agree with Bob, sure looks like a 16. Your serial number dates it back to the late 1800's. There are more than 50 sub-classes of the 16 machine....yikes. :blink:

Regards, Eric

I believe that your machine may be the precursor to the 16 class known as the " improved manufacturing". The earliest ones had a fiddle shaped bed. It is a larger version of the " improved family" machine which went on to become the 15 class. I am guessing that it has a long beak shuttle instead of a round bobbin case unless it is a very early 16 class. The full length removable plate on the back of the arm is like the one on the smaller improved family. The very early 16 class machines that I have seen have the conventional round access plate. Great find you have there.

Here's a pic of one I have,yours sure is alot better looking,

It dates to 1891 & as you can see it's a fiddlebed.

post-7185-0-62743600-1367495621_thumb.jp

post-7185-0-27401200-1367495657_thumb.jp

Edited by CowboyBob

Hello all!

thanks so much all for your fast replies and interest, lets go get deep in the thing:

I went with the machine to a local shoemaker, he looked at the machine and doubt a few time and finally he affirmed that this is a perforating machine, not intended for sewing, but I disagree with him.

As you can see there is no shuttle or bobbin, so the big question is: can i sew with this machine? :P

About the model and serial number, i took a look at the 16 class machines, the one that Bob has posted is a 16 class for sure but if you look close to my machine, you can see that it has some differences like the big wheel and the central bar that i havent see in any other singer industrial model for now, im still looking for what class or model can be this machine, it would be great to find the manual or some more infos.

Here are some screens that show the entire machine and all its parts:

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

Thanks again all for your replies, i love this forum!

regards

The shoemaker is correct. That's a hole puncher. A really cool, old, hole puncher.

Regards, Eric

That is the reason for the stay in the middle of the arm. It is amazing the coincidences that arise as I about to turn a Japanese 15 class machine into a puncher for a mate who does a lot of lacing. If it is successful then I will be creating a conversion kit!