I wanted to know since I don't wear globes while working with the leather what should I use to clean the leather before dying it with fiebings spirit...my jobber told me to always wear gloves but if I do I sweat so bad it'll drip on my projects!!! Thanks in advance for helping the green horn!!!

Rob-B

I just use methylated spirits, which is our local version of denatured alcohol.

That's probably better than rubbing alcohol, which is what I used.

Like me, you didn't want to spend money for Fiebing's deglazer.

There is always Oxalic acid, also known as Barkeeper's Friend at the hardware store. I've used it (diluted in water) to clean leather, especially when it had a bit of mold spots growing on it. Also, a really good way to remove metal discoloration on leather is lemon juice, full strength.

Years back, I was told by a Tandy dealer to use nail polish remover (acetone?) - he said it's basically the same thing as the Feibing's deglazer. I've had good results with this, as well as with hardware store acetone and rubbing alcohol.

Years back, I was told by a Tandy dealer to use nail polish remover (acetone?) - he said it's basically the same thing as the Feibing's deglazer. I've had good results with this, as well as with hardware store acetone and rubbing alcohol.

Whoever told you that deglazer was acetone was dead wrong.

SECTION 2 – COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Ingredients (Specific) % CAS# LD50 (Oral) LC50

Ethyl Acetate 70 - 90 141-78-6 5620 mg/kg (rat) No data

Ethyl Alcohol 10 - 30 64-17-5 7060 mg/kg (rat) No data

Acetone is far more harsh than Ethyl Acetate is. Also pretty harsh to use on leather. I do agree it would work great though. Just that you are bringing a shotgun to a BB gun fight.