KLS

What Size Bk Swivel Knife?

I want to order a Barry King swivel knife, but I don't know which one to get. There are different barrel sizes, different blade sizes and angled versus straight blade. Too many options... help!

I have medium sized hands for a woman.

I have never used a swivel knife, but I am pretty dexterous. (Hand-spinner and weaver for over 20 years.)

I plan to work on mostly small to medium sized leather projects (belts, wallets, small cases.)

(I don't know what makes the difference for making the choice, so I'm trying to give whatever info that may be pertinent.)

Thanks!

I would call BK and talk to him, nobody know his swivel knives more than Barry.

Smaller hands usually find smaller barrels more comfortable. A 3/8 barrel, with a 1/4 or 3/8 blade would be a good place to start. If you have access to other people who have tools, try some different sizes if you can before buying.

Chuck

I would stay under 1/2" barrel size, but calling Barry (if you can reach him) is always an option!

Thanks!!

If you can afford two, I'd get both a 3.8" and a 1/2". They are useful in different ways. The smaller diameter is better for rapid changes in direction where the larger one is superior, IMO, for more steady control in areas that don't require rapid changes in direction.

I'd also get three blades to start: a 1/2" straight, a 3/8" straight, and a 1/4" angled. Again, they each shine in their own ways, for similar reasons as the different diameter knives. I'd further take Bob Park's advice and try to do as much work with the larger blades as possible. Starting out relying on that 1/4" angled blade leads to bad habits. Learning good control over larger blades yields good habits.

Further advice: Invest in some good sharpening equipment. Your going to need it. Get a Keen sharpening guide and several diamond sharpening stones, and learn how to strop your swivel knife blades. Study this video series on the subject:

http://youtu.be/2vk1RZp_7sM

Hope that helps!

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

Love the videos... thanks!