tashabear

setting stones into leather?

I'm making a coronet (think crown, but simpler and smaller) for a friend of mine in the SCA. I bought some oval cabochons that I'd like to affix or set into the sides of the coronet, but I'm a little unsure as to how to do it. I could cut away a hole the same size and shape as the stone and glue on a lining, but I'm looking for alternatives, as that will affect the size of the coronet. I don't want to just glue it to the leather, as the reason why I'm not putting on my usual pearls is that her toddler knocks her other coronets off her head and has already broken off the pearls. I need this one to be sturdy and highly toddler-resistant.

So... thoughts?

Silva Fox showed how she did this in a magzine article a few years ago. I had a copy of it hanging on my wall for the last couple years because it was one of those things I hoped to try someday. I must have put it away somewhere the last time I cleaned up (which isn't often) and now I cant find it. Anyway, I think this is how she did it. Set the stone on the piece of damp leather and press on it to make an impression. Then make a line just slightly INSIDE the impression. Cut that line with a swivel knife. Bevel inside the cut line. Background inside this area to press it down some. Then with a sharp knife, scalpel, x-acto, slice around the inside edge of this depresion you have created. Not sure if I can make this make sense. You are holding the knife horizontally with the leather and slicing into the bevel you created in the leather. Then with a modeling tool, raise that edge up slightly. The stone will be fitted into the depression you created and it will be surrounded by the "lip" of leather you have cut loose. Glue the stone in, and work the edge of the leather back smooth. If that makes no sense at all, I'll try and find the article.

Another option is a three layer approach. 1st layer is the backing/base. 2nd layer is a very close tracing and cut out of the stone's shape. 3rd layer is a repeat of the 2nd layer, but cut inside the trace line. This creates a stone shaped pocket, with a retaining ring on it. I think it was DCKnives that posted this method, so you might check his posts.

Another option is a three layer approach. 1st layer is the backing/base. 2nd layer is a very close tracing and cut out of the stone's shape. 3rd layer is a repeat of the 2nd layer, but cut inside the trace line. This creates a stone shaped pocket, with a retaining ring on it. I think it was DCKnives that posted this method, so you might check his posts.

Great idea, but this needs to be on a curve and very flexible and light, plus I'm doing this for costs: I don't have the time to fiddle with getting all the lengths and shapes right. I'll keep it in mind if I ever want to bling out a flat piece, though. Thanks so much!

Silva Fox showed how she did this in a magzine article a few years ago. I had a copy of it hanging on my wall for the last couple years because it was one of those things I hoped to try someday. I must have put it away somewhere the last time I cleaned up (which isn't often) and now I cant find it. Anyway, I think this is how she did it. Set the stone on the piece of damp leather and press on it to make an impression. Then make a line just slightly INSIDE the impression. Cut that line with a swivel knife. Bevel inside the cut line. Background inside this area to press it down some. Then with a sharp knife, scalpel, x-acto, slice around the inside edge of this depresion you have created. Not sure if I can make this make sense. You are holding the knife horizontally with the leather and slicing into the bevel you created in the leather. Then with a modeling tool, raise that edge up slightly. The stone will be fitted into the depression you created and it will be surrounded by the "lip" of leather you have cut loose. Glue the stone in, and work the edge of the leather back smooth. If that makes no sense at all, I'll try and find the article.

Even if you could tell me where the article was published, that would be a help. I don't mind doing my own legwork.

Any recommendation on what glue to use, or should I ask my jewelry-making friends?

Thanks so much!

Any recommendation on what glue to use, or should I ask my jewelry-making friends?

I've used Future Glue Gel from Super Glue, and if you put it on right (i.e., follow the directions on the package) that stuff really holds!!! I had one stone I glued to a piece of leather, then tried to pull off. I broke the stone trying to get it off (to give you an idea of how much force I used), and it never did come off.

Kate

I've used Future Glue Gel from Super Glue, and if you put it on right (i.e., follow the directions on the package) that stuff really holds!!! I had one stone I glued to a piece of leather, then tried to pull off. I broke the stone trying to get it off (to give you an idea of how much force I used), and it never did come off.

Kate

Ooh. That's the ticket right there! I may not need to fret about the stones falling off, then. Thanks so much!

If the glue works then fine.But for giggles ,I will tell how I tackled the problem.I haven't posted about the three layer method but have done it and it works, but is somewhat thick.My method for doing it requires a little grinding or filing on the stone to make a lip around the perimeter to make it top hat shaped.I then shape the back of the stone to match the contour of what you are laying it against, inmy case a sheath.Cut a hole in the leather to match the top of the stone and press over.glue and sew the strap on.Dave

tur3.jpg

Ya, that's the one you posted before. Really. I think someone was asking about attaching turqois to leather and you posted that Beauty.

Or your evil twin did. You haven't been sleep-posting have you?

If the glue works then fine.But for giggles ,I will tell how I tackled the problem.I haven't posted about the three layer method but have done it and it works, but is somewhat thick.My method for doing it requires a little grinding or filing on the stone to make a lip around the perimeter to make it top hat shaped.I then shape the back of the stone to match the contour of what you are laying it against, inmy case a sheath.Cut a hole in the leather to match the top of the stone and press over.glue and sew the strap on.Dave

tur3.jpg

I don't have the tools to do that (and I think I would go insane while breaking all the stones, since they're only 10mmx14mm), but thank you for the tip. I may be getting an idea, though...

That is a GORGEOUS piece of work! Thank you for showing it to me!

If the glue works then fine.But for giggles ,I will tell how I tackled the problem.I haven't posted about the three layer method but have done it and it works, but is somewhat thick.My method for doing it requires a little grinding or filing on the stone to make a lip around the perimeter to make it top hat shaped.I then shape the back of the stone to match the contour of what you are laying it against, inmy case a sheath.Cut a hole in the leather to match the top of the stone and press over.glue and sew the strap on.Davetur3.jpg

Newbie here checking out old threads.....this set is stunning.