So I figured I would post this question here to quit beating myself up trying to figure it out.

I make alot of ring belts for the SCA. Can anyone offer any recommendations about how to maximize the length out of a single side while still not wasting too much square footage. Is there an angle to cut it at?

I havent always bout the largest side I could find... but the most ive been able to manage is usually 50"-55".. I'd like to get 60"-72" or longer

Thanks for any help everyone can offer

- Corey / PB

So I figured I would post this question here to quit beating myself up trying to figure it out.

I make alot of ring belts for the SCA. Can anyone offer any recommendations about how to maximize the length out of a single side while still not wasting too much square footage. Is there an angle to cut it at?

I havent always bout the largest side I could find... but the most ive been able to manage is usually 50"-55".. I'd like to get 60"-72" or longer

- Corey / PB

Well, as a person who is always looking to get the greatest economy out of her leather, I always have a tapemeasure handy. On a full belly (which are often oddly shaped), the greatest length is usually corner to corner- if I *must* have that piece, I bisect the piece *off center* so I can cut a few belts or whatever out of that center piece. Then again, I use vegtsn, usually undyed. I case and sweat first, then press down any areas that are rippled to get the piece as uniform as possible. If you are doing ring belts, you might want to also consider more types of leather/grades that might availavle to you. For instance, tandy is ok for alot of things, but frankly, their prices on "economy leathers" stink. try Wickett and Craig instead. I make *alot* of different things, so even those tough "lobes" that can be found oon the edges get used in my shop. "The greatest length" on a given piece of leather is often on a diagnal if it is not fairly square- but you might want to consider if the remaining pieces will be useful, or waste.

Hi Corey,

I sell in the SCA and have been supplying buckle belts for about 11 years (2 years prior to that, did ring belts). Its been my my experience that if you are mail ordering (Wicket and craig tannery is great - 1800Tannery1) you can tell them what you are doing, and get you what you need. I just got a side from them that was 9 ft long, and over 33 Square Ft in size!!! For really long belts (I have had some from the sides I get that are over 9 ft long) I have been told that Pennsylvania cows might be longer, or that could be a crock, and its just in the way they are stretched during processing. if you are getting Double Shoulders, I can see the 50-55" length maximum, but a side of leather for SCA belts is the way to go for the length....

As for Cutting - It takes me a little longer to cut this way, but I can still do a side in about 30 minutes with a hand held strap cutter (with a bad back ;) ). I tend to look at the side, and figure out how many belts of a specific widths I need, and then look for scars, brands, cuts holes in the leather, and address how many 3/4" wide ones to do (shorter length) I need to do before I switch to 1 3/4" because of a hole in the side toward the end.

Biggest thing to worry about on the sides is to not get to far into the belly - save that for other projects or small items that dont matter if it stretches.

I am from Indiana, so our pathes most likely wont cross, but if you make it to pennsic, stop by the "By My Hand" booth as that is where I sell thru.

Vince

- Corey / PB

I haven't tried this on a large scale, but lacemaking comes to mind. I know the leather will have to be stretched and straightened afterward, but what about a spiral cut? I just punched the numbers in the 'Lace Calculator' (the one distro'd here on the forum) and with a 1.75 inch strap, you'd get a shade over 21 feet from a single 24 in diameter circle. I know the numbers will play out a little differently but it still looks like you could get at least three belt/straps of ~6ft with no problem from a 2 ft circle of leather.

If you want to use every last bit of a back, try Sedgewick's

Bridle. I made 60+" belts from the whole piece. Pricey though.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. Sorry for not thanking earlier, but I kind of fell off the face of the earth. Hopefully I'll be better able to pay some time to the forum and learning part of my leatherwork and not just the "same old thing" kind of work that I was busy with

- Bear

Has anybody besides me tried using Latigo strips from the tack shop?

- Corey / PB

Corey,

I would suggest to get the best yields, use double shoulders or bends for belts up to 55" and buy a back when you need extra length, and you don't have to worry about the belly area.

My name is Roger Folmar of RJF Leather Co., I carry high grade veg leather in all weights including Double sholders, bends, backs, sides. Check out the web site for other leathers.

Thanks, Roger