ajones17

Bleed Knot Repair... Is There Any Hope?

Had a customer send back a bleed knot dog leash that her dog chewed in two. Is there any sort of magic repair I can do in this or is it a lost cause?

Thanks,

Mandy

Edited by ajones17

Mandy,

Skive and stitch in a long splice (think two door stops with glue) in each leg, if you have to, untie the bleed not up to that point. Measure up carefully so the knots are uninterrupted when you tie the bleed knots and complete the leash.

Then maybe a fisherman's knot would look cool, sometimes called a blood (as opposed to bleed) knot.

Most leashes get chewed off right at the snap. If that is the case, just trim up and reinstall the snap.

Art

IMO you will have a hard time getting it to look right. What is going to be the cost difference in making a new one and trying to reapir the one you got? I would opt for making a new one.

Thanks all, the leash is chewed about 1/3 way up from the end. So much easier to fix if they are chewed right at the snap. There must be something in the air, I've had about 6 customers contact me for chew repairs in the last week. I will consider the skive but agree it will look rather funky (especially because I am no skiving expert), and that's my work out there, I want it to look right. I am going to contact the customer and offer a fix option price vs a replacement price. I can reuse the hardware and save her a few $$ I guess. These leashes take me hours to make and this one was only a few months old, such a waste...

Mandy

One of the issues I have with doing repair work is, will it look nice enough that when someone sees it they will want me to do repair work on their stuff? I have people tell me a lot that it does not matter what it looks like just fix it. It does matter what it looks like because that is advertisement for me. I understand the time and waste thing but it is not your fault that the dog chewed the leash and if they have to buy a new leash and wait a little while for it, they may be more careful with it in the future. You can reuse the hardware but make sure you charge for your time.

Yes there is, Capsaicin, there are other less fiery brands like Critter Ridder or something like that.

Art