aldebaran1981

Goatskin Wallet And Etc Leather Wallets

dear all, been a while since I last posted.

I have made a few wallets already

But either the quality of my workmanship, or the type of leather I have been using has been preventing me from making real quality wallets

I would like to know if anyone has made a full wallet out of goatskin or should goatskin be only be used for the interior part of a wallet?

anyone has any samples of their goatskin wallets?

I'm gonna post a few pictures of a wallet's interior which I am very curious about what material it is and whether during the construction process, is the backside of the leather being left bare or has 2 layers glued together? This guy's work is impressive and has inspired me to work harder!

thanks!

post-61722-0-94382600-1451297781_thumb.j

post-61722-0-48135900-1451297786_thumb.j

post-61722-0-46308500-1451297796_thumb.j

The leather on his wallet interior looks to be "Kidskin".

The front of your wallets need to be at least 4 to 5oz. although I have used Kangaroo for a super thin wallet plus it wears like iron.

The front panel of this gentleman's wallet may be embossed cowhide. It would most likely be backed up with cloth or some very thin leather.

ferg

The leather on his wallet interior looks to be "Kidskin".

The front of your wallets need to be at least 4 to 5oz. although I have used Kangaroo for a super thin wallet plus it wears like iron.

The front panel of this gentleman's wallet may be embossed cowhide. It would most likely be backed up with cloth or some very thin leather.

ferg

what is "kidskin"?

embossed cowhide i know. yeah i think it should be backed up with very thin goatskin or pigskin right? in that case, why isn't there a sewing line on the card slots to prevent the lining from fraying?

There isn't any lining on the card slots.

Just in the "paper money" space.

Kidskin is baby/younger goat skin. Very nice. I hate pigskin with a passion.

ferg

I follow that guy on Instagram. He's making luxury items with premium leathers. The goat is most likely from France from the Alran tannery. The other is croc possibly alligator.

Edited by thefanninator

There isn't any lining on the card slots.

Just in the "paper money" space.

Kidskin is baby/younger goat skin. Very nice. I hate pigskin with a passion.

ferg

i tried using pigskin a few times and the effect wasn't really nice. so maybe my next step would be goatskin or kidskin

no lining on the card slots meaning that the embossed leather used is pretty premium to be thin enough?

Highly unlikely theres any embossed leather there Id say. Based on the craftsmanship as well as the leather it looks like Croc, Alligator and Goat to me. The goat will have started at 1mm or so and can be split thinner. We use 0.6 - 0.7mm for card pockets

Charlie

Highly unlikely theres any embossed leather there Id say. Based on the craftsmanship as well as the leather it looks like Croc, Alligator and Goat to me. The goat will have started at 1mm or so and can be split thinner. We use 0.6 - 0.7mm for card pockets

Charlie

in the photo, the card pockets looks kinda stiff but goatskin is normally soft right?

in the photo, the card pockets looks kinda stiff but goatskin is normally soft right?

Just like any other leather, it really depends on the tanning and finishing. It certainly doesn't need to be soft and it retains its strength even when split very thin