Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

my latest finished briefcase

Here's my latest finished briefcase.

I was thinking of pading the shoulder pad with 5 mm neoprene , which would go between the 3/4 oz layer of suede and the the 8/10 oz veg tan.

Any other ideas for such padding? What's a good price to pay for 5mm neoprene?

Thanks,

Edfront_sm.jpg

post-853-1179094247_thumb.jpg

That looks sharp, Ed. Is it big enough to tote a laptop and a bunch of cords and chargers? If I had velcro closures instead of the buckles, no shoulder pad (I have one! :) )and a zipper under the flap, what would it cost me, and how long would it take to get it? (You can PM me if you want!) I could see putting Clay's shoulder pad on a fine looking case like that, instead of the mass produced nylon bag I haul around. My hubby really screwed up this week (and it's Mother's Day to boot!) and I want some new leather! Anyone have Shawn's (The Major) phone number, too, while we're at it?

Johanna

Ed, that's a fantastic looking briefcase. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Here's my latest finished briefcase.

I was thinking of pading the shoulder pad with 5 mm neoprene , which would go between the 3/4 oz layer of suede and the the 8/10 oz veg tan.

Any other ideas for such padding? What's a good price to pay for 5mm neoprene?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

I love the briefcase and have some neoprene info for you. Neoprene is what I use for padding on all my motorcycle seats. My source is Foam and More 1925 W. Maple, Troy MI 48084. Phone 1-248-284-0002. They sell in large sheets as well as smaller offcuts. Also they have this great self adhesive option on all their neoprene. They are great to work with. The foam works well and is very easy to shape with an electric knife.....just don't tell your wife where the electric carving knife went. Ours is now well hidden in my toolbox in the workshop.

Dave Theobald

That looks sharp, Ed. Is it big enough to tote a laptop and a bunch of cords and chargers? If I had velcro closures instead of the buckles, no shoulder pad (I have one! :) )and a zipper under the flap, what would it cost me, and how long would it take to get it? (You can PM me if you want!) I could see putting Clay's shoulder pad on a fine looking case like that, instead of the mass produced nylon bag I haul around. My hubby really screwed up this week (and it's Mother's Day to boot!) and I want some new leather! Anyone have Shawn's (The Major) phone number, too, while we're at it?

Johanna

Johanna,

If he screwed up THAT bad I can get you the number of Sucker Punch Sallys.....A really fine bike might make up for his mistake!

Dave

Edited by David

I really like that case. Good job, thanks for sharing.

B)-->

QUOTE(Oscar B @ May 15 2007, 12:18 AM)

Very nice work!

Very nice work!

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. You've all played a big part in helping me improve my leatherwork.

Ed

Ed,

I love the briefcase and have some neoprene info for you. Neoprene is what I use for padding on all my motorcycle seats. My source is Foam and More 1925 W. Maple, Troy MI 48084. Phone 1-248-284-0002. They sell in large sheets as well as smaller offcuts. Also they have this great self adhesive option on all their neoprene. They are great to work with. The foam works well and is very easy to shape with an electric knife.....just don't tell your wife where the electric carving knife went. Ours is now well hidden in my toolbox in the workshop.

Dave Theobald

Johanna,

If he screwed up THAT bad I can get you the number of Sucker Punch Sallys.....A really fine bike might make up for his mistake!

Dave

Dave,

I checked Foam and More and am going to go ahead and place an order with them. I'm not sure yet what thickness I should get or whether I should get the regular or the high quality.

I'm going to use it to pad a shoulderstrap pad and to pad a compartment of my briefcase for laptop protection. I need to decide between the 1/8" and the 1/4". I'm leaning toward the latter but will probably end up getting both. What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

Dave Theobald

Johanna,

Dave

Dave,

I got two sheets of the 1/4" regular neoprene from Foam and More. Thanks for the info. Works great. I'm now wondering if maybe I should have gone for the 1/8" neoprene, as the 1/4" may be a bit too thick for some applications I have in mind.

Ed

Dave,

I got two sheets of the 1/4" regular neoprene from Foam and More. Thanks for the info. Works great. I'm now wondering if maybe I should have gone for the 1/8" neoprene, as the 1/4" may be a bit too thick for some applications I have in mind.

Ed

I just saw these posts and I would have recommended 1/8" for the strap and 1/4" for the compartment. But regardless, you have met the people at Foam and More and I'll wager you'll find them great to work with.

Dave Theobald

Dave,

Have you ever had problems with the neoprene from Foam and More breaking down and no longer providing cushioning? A customer of mine has been asking for nylon foam material (looks like white packing wrap) instead of neoprene, as he feels the neoprene breaks down and turns to dust over a short period of time.

Ed