Ran

New Member From Northern Wisconsin

Hi Folks,

Just recently got started leather working. I'm a long time woodworker, cabinet maker, furniture builder, pistol grip maker and decided to try my hand a making a few holsters. I can already see that this is going to become addicting! Here is my first stab at making holsters. I hope to learn LOTS more about this craft here..:)

IMG_3893_zps871f9f7c.jpg

DSCN3814_zps4b390698.jpg

DSCN3817_zps955aa112.jpg

DSCN3818_zps1f5b46aa.jpg

DSCN3820_zpsf7aa83b7.jpg

Very nice holsters. Welcome to the forum Ran!

Thanks folks! Just made another holster today, and thanks to this forum my edges look fantastic! :cowboy:

Nice work there

welcome to the forum and to the addiction.

It's great to see more and more Wisconsin people on here. Definitely a big welcome to you. Down in Milwaukee here.

FWIW from the old grumpy guy; Damned nice work, especially for one just starting to make holsters. My only (slightly) negative comment would be is to the holster in the second set of pics. It 'seems' (it may just be the pics) that your grip clearance is a bit tight. In other words - - if you needed to get a fist-full of that shooter in a hurry, WTSHTF if you will, you might find a bit of interference from the hind-side of the rig. In subsequent models, you may want to drop the top of that ear a bit. Now for the positive - - one thing that I really like seeing is that you have the stitch line - - at the front of the trigger guard just as it needs to be. That's the one place that a new maker misses, or screws up usually. Many do not realize (especially 'newbies) that that chunk of stitching is arguably the most important in the whole damned rig. It sets, or limits the depth of the gun in the rig, and, in turn, relates to both the location of the mouth and toe of the holster. If you KNOW were the gun will sit, you can then 'see' where the mouth needs to be for your requirements, and design accordingly. Same with the toe - - if you don't know how deep that shooter CAN go down in the leather, a newbie will usually end up with the muzzle of the weapon drooling out of the open toe after time has worked on things for a while, and no amount of molding will take the place of a proper stitch line. Again, very nice work - keep at it. Mike

Edited by katsass

It's great to see more and more Wisconsin people on here. Definitely a big welcome to you. Down in Milwaukee here.

Thanks Frank. I get down your way fairly often. I grew up in Waukesha and still have lots of family down there..

FWIW from the old grumpy guy; Damned nice work, especially for one just starting to make holsters. My only (slightly) negative comment would be is to the holster in the second set of pics. It 'seems' (it may just be the pics) that your grip clearance is a bit tight. In other words - - if you needed to get a fist-full of that shooter in a hurry, WTSHTF if you will, you might find a bit of interference from the hind-side of the rig. Now for the positive - - one thing that I really like seeing is that you have the stitch line - - at the front of the trigger guard just as it needs to be. Many do not realize (especially 'newbies) that that chunk of stitching is arguably the most important in the whole damned rig. It sets, or limits the depth of the gun in the rig, and, in turn, relates to both the location of the mouth and toe of the holster. If you KNOW were the gun will sit, you can then 'see' where the mouth needs to be, and design accordingly. Same with the toe - - if you don't know how deep that shooter CAN go down in the leather, a newbie will usually end up with the muzzle of the weapon drooling out of the open toe after time has worked on things for a while. Again, very nice work - keep at it. Mike

Mike....thanks for the comments. You are spot-on regarding grip clearance. I need to slightly adjust my pattern in that regard. I have relatively small hands and can get a quick grip on the pistol, but my hand 'does' indeed contact the hind top of the holster. Anyone with 'fat' fingers is not going to like it. I just finished another 'practice' holster for a southpaw buddy of mine down in NC and I have a similar issue with that one too. Its a pancake for a 3" officers 1911. I intend to make adjustments. Thanks again, Mike!

hey fellow cheesehead im not to far from you. im in tomahawk every september sewing on patches. welcome n theres lots on here to learn. just ask and someone will answer your questions.

Wow, first Beaverslayer shows up and now Bonnie is back!!! It's like they're all coming home.....

Very nice work on the holsters. I also see some minor things like the corner on the sweat shield for the BDA. That's more aesthetic than anything, but corners can become snags (for shirts) and it's a visual diversion from the smooth lines of the rest of it. I'm pretty sure the old grumpy Mike covered the rest of it.

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

Welcome to the board and nice work, indeed. If your passing through to Waukesha, give a shout, I'm in Fond du Lac. The invasion of the cheeseheads :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the comments, folks! (especially you fellow 'Cheeseheads'). I know from all my years of fine woodworking that sometimes one needs to take a break and let what he's learned 'soak in' a little. I'm gonna do just that and get back to the leather in a few days again. Kinda funny....my woodworking shop is beginning to look like a leatherworking shop. My tablesaw must be wondering what all that leather is doing draped over it..:)

Since we have been chatting in the other thread, hello and welcome! I grew up in the Madison area out in the country, so I will take honorary cheesehead status, despite living in Illinois. Plus, my mom lives near Spooner, which isn't too far from you.

Edited by immiketoo

Since we have been chatting in the other thread, hello and welcome! I grew up in the Madison area out in the country, so I will take honorary cheesehead status, despite living in Illinois. Plus, my mom lives near Spooner, which isn't too far from you.

Small world, Mike! I used to spend a fair amount of time in Madison in the 'old days,' back when I was in business.

Ran:

Welcome. There is a lot of knowledge and talent here. Someone is always willing to share... I'm about two hours south (west of Marshfield). I've got to head up to your part of the country real soon to deliver a holster I made for a medically retired Lincoln County Lieutenant who is a friend of mine.

You mentioned wanting to get into tooling leather. I'm by no means an expert but I do have a couple of books I'd be willing to loan you as well as a few basic stamps if I have doubles.. Until you can get some of your own.... Let me know or send a PM and I'll see what I can dig up...

Double Bar P

Ran:

Welcome. There is a lot of knowledge and talent here. Someone is always willing to share... I'm about two hours south (west of Marshfield). I've got to head up to your part of the country real soon to deliver a holster I made for a medically retired Lincoln County Lieutenant who is a friend of mine.

You mentioned wanting to get into tooling leather. I'm by no means an expert but I do have a couple of books I'd be willing to loan you as well as a few basic stamps if I have doubles.. Until you can get some of your own.... Let me know or send a PM and I'll see what I can dig up...

Double Bar P

Thanks Double Bar P! I've been looking at more stamps and other tools for leather crafting lately. Not really sure what I want yet. Although I see LOADS of talent and experience in all of these floral patterns, they don't particularly do much for me. I guess I'd like to keep watching videos and looking at pictures here on the forum for a while so I can decide just exactly what trips my trigger..

Randy

Well, if you get down this way and have extra time, feel free to let me know and you are more than welcome to stop by. If you private message me, I'll give you my phone number to make it a bit easier.

Frank

Well, if you get down this way and have extra time, feel free to let me know and you are more than welcome to stop by. If you private message me, I'll give you my phone number to make it a bit easier.

Frank

Thanks Frank!

hey ran welcome just ask someone on here will help you. im not far from ya.

hey ran welcome just ask someone on here will help you. im not far from ya.

Thanks Bronco..