Jj5685

Leather For Cartridge Loop Question

I heard I should use 3-5 ounce leather for cartridge loops on my gun belt I'm making. I'm going in and out the same hole for each cartridge. Im new to leather tooling, what kind of leather do I need. I've looked on eBay and I see taupe cowhide, bison buffalo leather, etc .what works? I ordered a strip of rawhide but now after reading about rawhide idk if it will work. Is rawhide suitable for cartridge loops or is it really stiff and will not stretch? Where can I buy small quantities of 4oz leather in, 3/4" strips would be nice, I can't afford $50> orders right now for just a small strip.

Some people will tell you 3-4oz some people will tell you 4-5oz. Most of the time I use 4-5oz. The main reason is that I am lazy and I can get pre cut cartirge loop strips from springfield leather they sell them in 50" lengths from 1/2" width to 2" width. The 1/2" width by 50" is about $5.99 retail (bought a month ago) cheaper if you are on their dicount program. I have done many gun belts with these strips and they work quite well. They are in their catalog pg 138 of their 2012 catalog, have not gotten the 2013 catalog. They are not in their on-line listing. Give them a call and tell them you want cartridge loop strips and the width they will help you out. I reccomend using veg tanned leather and thats what these are. Springfield leather 1- 800- 668- 8518.

If you go over to cascity.com and click on their leathershop forum then click on FAQ how to, look for the one on cartridge loops you will find alot of information on how to do them including spacing . stitching, woven, semi woven etc.

Edited by camano ridge

Thanks, how do you connect them to the belt, can you use rivets. I havnt got into sewing yet

Never mind, I see what you mean now. I thought you meant a the loops were already sewn together into a strip