Hey all,

I have a question regarding the Ruger Blackhawk. I have had 2 requests for holsters for this gun but I do not have a specific pattern and purchasing a dummy gun is out right now. At least for another couple of weeks. Do any of you know if the Ruger Blackhawk and the Ruger Old Model Vaquero can use the same pattern? I wasn't sure with the target sights compared to the standard blade and notch sights if they would fit the same holster or if I should add a 1/4" or so to the pattern width. I appreciate any assistance.

Frank

Hey all,

I have a question regarding the Ruger Blackhawk. I have had 2 requests for holsters for this gun but I do not have a specific pattern and purchasing a dummy gun is out right now. At least for another couple of weeks. Do any of you know if the Ruger Blackhawk and the Ruger Old Model Vaquero can use the same pattern? I wasn't sure with the target sights compared to the standard blade and notch sights if they would fit the same holster or if I should add a 1/4" or so to the pattern width. I appreciate any assistance.

Frank

The same pattern for the vaquero will not work for the blackhawk. You will have to add because of the front sights being so tall on the blackhawk, also be careful to make sure you form the holster so that the rear sight is up high enough that the holster will not interfere or be able to knock it out of alignment.

Bobby Rose

Thanks Bobby. Do you think I should had a 1/4" or 1/2" onto the pattern? I planned on making a lower cut throat on the front of holster so I didn't have to worry too much about the rear sight being knocked about. Thanks again.

Frank

I make a lot of cowboy action holsters for both OMV and Blackhawks. My holsters are 8 – 9 oz with a 6 – 7 oz lining. My pattern for OMV and Blackhawks are very similar. I make patterns using legal size file folders. I just measured both file folder patterns. On the Blackhawk pattern horizontally across the top of the holster pocket, right below where the trigger guard would rest is 4 ¾”. Horizontally near the bottom of the holster pocket, before it starts to curve is 3 ¼”. Vertically the holster is 8 ¼” from the lip of the holster pocket to the bottom. This pattern is for a revolver with a 5 ½” barrel. The only difference there was from my OMV pattern is that the Blackhawk pattern was a little wider across under the trigger guard. On these patterns, I place a stitching grove 3/16” from the edge, except for the welt. On the welt edge I place a stitching grove 5/16” from the edge to allow for sanding of the welt.

I wet fit all my holsters to the actual gun. Holsters 009.jpgHolsters 010.jpg

post-10605-127272750144_thumb.jpg

post-10605-127272752461_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I am using 9-10 oz leather without a lining or a welt on most of the holsters unless otherwise requested. I'd like to wet fit the gun myself but without a molding gun I am at a disadvantage so the pattern has to be a very close fit. If you have a spare body pattern, I'd definitely pay you for it. Thanks again.

Frank

Frank,

Do you have a Ruger OMV that you can use to wet fit the holster? If so, you can build up the frame and cylinder of the gun with some layers of plastic wrap and you'll get pretty close to a perfect fit. The cylinder of a Blackhawk is a little bigger than a OMV. My patterns are for lined holsters and I don't think that they would work well for an unlined holster with no welt. You could even use a Colt, Colt clone or a Ruger NMV for wet fitting if you wrapped it enough. A Ruger NMV is just a hair bigger than Colt or Colt clone; the same pattern works for both, but I still like to wet fit it with the gun thats going in it. The OMV is a little bigger than the NMV and the Blackhawk has a slightly bigger cylinder than the OMV.

I think you were on the right path when you mention enlarging your Ruger OMV pattern. My Blackhawk pattern and OMV pattern are identical except that the Blackhawk pattern is a hair over 1/4" wider right under where the trigger guard rests. Widen your OMV pattern up near the top of the holster pocket to accommodate the wider cylinder of the Blackhawk and I think your holster will turn out fine. I should mention one other thing. I make the bottom part of my holster pocket big enough that the holster does not rub on the front sight. If your OMV holster touches the front sight, you need to widen up that part too to accommodate the slightly larger sight on a Blackhawk.

Mongo,

Thanks for the replies and info. That is exactly what I thought and needed. I do not have the OMV to mold with but will take your advice on the molding trick. I do appreciate it very much.

Frank

Not sure what style you are looking for, but I swear by Jim's tutorial here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19338. You do not need to mold these holsters to get a good fit. They look great and are easy to make as well.