I would like to pose a question to our panel. How much of a bad idea is it to contact cement two pieces of 3-4 oz strips together to make a belt. The reason I ask is that the only leather I have is 3-4oz. I am unable to get any more leather at the present time, so that's all I've got to work with. I made a belt with just one layer for myself, and it turned out just fine. But I think it's a little thin to last.

My line of thinking was running something like this: contact cement the two layers together. The area where it would be folded over for the buckle, it would be one layer so when it's folded for the buckle it would be two layers thick. It would be 1 1/2" belt narrowed down to fit the buckle that I have.

I remember Greg mentioning that contact cement is used to attach shoe soles. That gave me the idea for gluing two layers together. I figure if it can hold soles on, it should bee able glue two layers together for a belt.

Any suggestions that you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Not a bad idea at all....and done on a regular basis for exactly the purpose you have proposed... utilizing thinner leathers already in stock for projects needing thicker leather.

I would suggest that in putting it together you try to glue it in a curved fashion like it will be used as a belt... this will keep crinkles from possible forming on the inside next to the person which might exist if glued flat then used in a curve as a belt...

You just start glueing on one end and introduce and keep the curve as you progress.

This is the same concept used in curved plywood furniture glued in place... and curved handrails ( just this week on " This Old House" ...

This same concept is used when placing ' insides' in billfolds... otherwise you would not be able to fold them...

Greg

I use contact cement on sheaths for my custom knives before stitching them.

What you're doing will work. I line all my belts, two pieces of 6/7 oz and/or 7/8 oz. I usually use Barge. I do the buckle fold exactly as you describe. Stohlman's Belts Galore is an excellent book on belt construction. I skive the billets so the belts are so stiff and difficult to buckle and I punch seven holes 3/4 inch apart. One other thing you can do with the thicknesses you're working with is add a filler, same thickness as your other two, outer & liner straps, but slightly narrower; makes one handsome belt. An you could get into some fancy stitching. I've cut up some old belts that had nylon webbing sewn inside, I assume that's to prevent stretching. I've not done that, but I would consider it if I was forced to use light leather. Might as well build the thing to last the mile.

I apologize for taking so long to express my thanks to you guys. I enrolled in a G.E.D. upgrade course the end of September setting up for college in the fall. The computer hasn't been on much since. I just wanted to say thank you for your responses. I tried it out on my belt and it turned out great. Again thank you very much guys!