j d h

Newbie Wanting To Start Off Right

I first wrote a different post, but after reading some others, decided to rewrite it. I can't figure out how to delete it so administrators, please delete my previous post.

Hello to everyone. I'm a new member to this site and for the most part, to the trade. I already find this site very helpful. I have several questions, but I'll start with two..

First, I plan on building leather using tack-things like headstalls, breastcollars, spur straps, belts, etc., as well as repairing and hopefully someday making saddles. In speaking with several friends who have saddle shops and others on facebook, I have narrowed my choice of machines down to two-the Cobra 4 or the Artisan 3200. Are these a good choice for my needs? Could someone please explain to me the difference in the machines? Would you suggest other machines and if so, why? Even after talking to both companies, I don't understand if there is a difference in them, or not.

Secondly, I need some feedback on tools. I was planning on buying the "Ultimate Leathercrafters's Workshop" from Tandy, figured it would be a good starting set, since I really don't know everything that I'll need. Would it be smarter to just take someone who knows with me to Tandy and individually buy the tools that I would need? Are there things in the kit that I wouldn't need, making it wise to spend my money on other things?

Guess that was more than two questions...Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.

I think the Artisan has a 12 inch arm and the Cobra has an industry standard 16.5 inch arm. While you can get parts for the Cobra just about anywhere (it is basically a Juki 441), there are several parts for the 3200 that you will only be able to get from Artisan.

I have many Cobra machines and have not had a failure on any of them. I recommend the Cobra highly, Steve and the service are excellent.

On tools, the Tandy starter kits have a lot of cheap tools in them. I would recommend buying only the tools you need for each project, and buy the best quality. Buy the quality tool once, your toolbox will fill itself, but only with tools you need and use. Learn to sharpen, and buy the tools to accomplish this. A strop should be your first project, there is a tutorial thread on here about making a strop.

Art

Thanks for the feedback, Art. Could you suggest some quality tool brands/makers and where to get them?

I think the Artisan has a 12 inch arm and the Cobra has an industry standard 16.5 inch arm. While you can get parts for the Cobra just about anywhere (it is basically a Juki 441), there are several parts for the 3200 that you will only be able to get from Artisan.

I have many Cobra machines and have not had a failure on any of them. I recommend the Cobra highly, Steve and the service are excellent.

On tools, the Tandy starter kits have a lot of cheap tools in them. I would recommend buying only the tools you need for each project, and buy the best quality. Buy the quality tool once, your toolbox will fill itself, but only with tools you need and use. Learn to sharpen, and buy the tools to accomplish this. A strop should be your first project, there is a tutorial thread on here about making a strop.

Art

Hi Quality used tools:

Bruce Johnson

Sheridan Leather Outfitters talk to Vandy

New edgers:

Ron's Tools

Sheridan Leather Outfitters

Barry King

New Leather Tools, punches etc.

Weaver Leather carries many brands including CS Osborne

Springfield Leather carries cheap tools AND good tools including CS Osborne

Knives:

Used knives from Bruce or Vandy will be very very good.

New knives from Terry Knipschield (Knipper) are good as well as Leather Wranglers.

Look through the many posts on head knives for some interesting perspectives.

Art

Thank you sir.

Hi Quality used tools:

Bruce Johnson

Sheridan Leather Outfitters talk to Vandy

New edgers:

Ron's Tools

Sheridan Leather Outfitters

Barry King

New Leather Tools, punches etc.

Weaver Leather carries many brands including CS Osborne

Springfield Leather carries cheap tools AND good tools including CS Osborne

Knives:

Used knives from Bruce or Vandy will be very very good.

New knives from Terry Knipschield (Knipper) are good as well as Leather Wranglers.

Look through the many posts on head knives for some interesting perspectives.

Art

I'll post this to you as well as the other newbie :)

If you know you are going to stay with it, buy the better quality tools. I would recommned that there is one item you should spend the money on that is worth it's weight in gold and that is a good round knife for cutting thicker leather.. Keep in mind that these are just my opinions and there are a lot of vendors out there and a lot of good people on this site that can help you. Bruce Johnson is well known and a wealth of information on this site and as said, he may have some tools for sale.

I do have some tools I could sell you that I used but have now replaced with better tools if your interested ;) Bev at DB Jones Saddlery, 715-896-3367. Call me to talk if you don't want to make the same mistakes I made...

Recommend getting a subscription to the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal - leathercraftersjournal.com. I learned a lot from this magazine as well as attending the classes at it Sheridan WY trade show. Well worth the trip!!

For stamping tools - Barry King at barrykingtools.com As far as craft tools, look for the older ones, they will have just the number on the handle without the letter in front of the number. Those are the better ones. Also, if you stumble upon any old McMillen's or Gomph Hackbarth's in garage sales, buy them. They are worth a lot of money and are real gems too!

Swivel Knife - check out Paul's at leatherwranglers.com

Round Knife - Terry Knipschield at knipknives.com

Douglas Tools has some of the better older tools and I love getting the old awls from them. The new ones made now don't seem to work as well as the old ones.

If you get into the sewing machines later, if you come across a Juki or a Cobra, they are good machines. I would take Cobra over Artisan.

For other items, I use Springfield Leather a lot and some stuff from Weaver. Ohio Travel Bag for hardware and Timco for conchos are good too..