Sign in to follow this  
AKRob

What brand of machine and what power lever should I be looking at?

I have a small full time (And then some!) shop we run two Tippmann Boss Machines. They have become the choke point in production. I need a better/faster more reliable machine.

Typical sewing is two thickness of 8-9 oz leather.

thanks.

Rob

I bought an Artisan 3000 to replace my Boss. I cannot say enough good things about the Artisan machine or the folks that run the place. I have been running mine for 3 years without a problem. Tech support is top notch if you have a problem, they will stay on the phone an work you through any problem you may have. Dave is a member here I am sure he will be glad to send you some info. Go have a look at thier web site and give them a call. 888-838-1408. It will be the best 1950.00 you will spend. My boss just sits and gathers dust now....

Randy

RAndy,

Thank you that is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. The price range is better than I had expected too.

Thank you,

Rob Leahy

Hi Rob,

I moved this topic to Leather Sewing Machines, I hope you get more traffic here.

With a thickness of 18oz you are in the upper range of the Artisan 618-SC and the mid range of the Artisan 3000. If you are going to be doing the 18oz and thicker stuff, using 277 or 207 then you really want the Artisan 3000. The 618 is for lighter and finer things all the way down to 69 or even 46 thread.

Both Artisans ship with servo motors instead of clutch motors. The servo motors are very easy to use and very adjustable, something that will make you able to sew competently after an hour or two of practice, not so with the clutch motor, much harder to learn to control. They also have speed reducers that give you a pile of torque even at crawling (1 minute per stitch, and yes I typed that correctly) speeds.

Do you use the two boss machines just to get throughput or do you have different setups on each. It would be hard for four or five Boss machines to keep up with one Artisan 3000, but you might want to keep seldom used setups on the Boss machines to keep changeovers to a minimum.

There are other machines out there, but not many fill the particular niche the 3000 occupies; It has been a real success story from day one. You would be hard pressed to find a 3000 user that doesn't like his machine, they are that good. Good customer service also.

Art

One thing I will guarantee, you won't miss pulling that handle.

I have a small full time (And then some!) shop we run two Tippmann Boss Machines. They have become the choke point in production. I need a better/faster more reliable machine.

Typical sewing is two thickness of 8-9 oz leather.

thanks.

Rob

Just a quick complete agreement with everything good said about Artisan. I've had the 797AB and Toro 4000 for going on five trouble free years. I can't say enough good about them and the people you'd be working with.

Paul

Your Boss is a choke point, eh? Well, I'd say what you need then is a 3rd Boss and it just so happens I have one available for immediate shipment, slightly used, (only hit 3 or 4 times with a sledge hammer). .....and, no returns please. heheh

You might want to consider my used Adler 204 listed about 20 items below. IF you're serious about production, it can handle it. Bob Thompson