LederRudi

First Molding: Friction Sheath For My Leatherman

Not exactly a piece of art, but I'll wear it on my belt.

I put the LM in a spindle press, the moist leather and a stack of foam pieces on top which i'd cut out of a camping mat, and applied pressure. After that I had to work it a bit with some tool handles. Came out well enough for my taste. Folded it over, glued and sewed. The sewing is a bit "hoodry voodry" - I know. Comments and hints as always most welcome.

post-16527-0-75299700-1420737425_thumb.j

Edited by LederRudi

Looks pretty good. Looks like you got a nice burnish on your edges. Stitching is a bit rough in places as you mentioned. Only thing I might have done different is made the back a bit higher so the tool was resting on it and then cut the front down to allow easier access just so the top of the tool isn't digging into your side. Would also allow you to have the case sitting lower on the belt.

I like it and agree with Halitech about having a higher back. I suppose if you have the room inside or used a curved needle, you could sew on a flap that comes up over the top with a snap on the front. That should serve as a decent an anti-gouge shield for your side and offer additional retention at the same time.

Halitech and Wicked Welts thank you for responding. After wearing the pouch some on my hip I can see (or rather: feel) what you mean.

When I switch over to mass-production (= making sheaths for a friend and my son) I'll definitely put more effort into planning. I was caught off guard so to speak by the fact that this kind of molding actually works (although most of the pressure is where yo don't need it: on top). Then I somewhat rushed the assembly simply folding over the overlap. Letting the tool stick out of the sheath (like the grip of the Duke's highriding sixgun) seemed to be a good idea at the time.

Retention seems to be good so far. I've baked the leather and it's pretty stiff. I'd like to get by without a flap. Moreover I am toying now with the bold idea of wearing the sheath horizontally with the front piece sewn to a kind of tube which would demand a great deal (too much?) of the retention.