Chris B

Heavy Duty Truck Options?

Well I have been looking around to get a new truck (well new to me anyway). And I am going to get a 3/4 or a one ton. And Im looking for years between 98 and 04 or so. But do you guys have any opinions on any truck? OR what models I should shy away from? Sorry I didnt know where else to go for help...

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by welder5724

I think i would get a Dodge desiel. 4 wheel drive would be a bonus and sure is handy when ya need it.

I always reccomend Ford. Been using my 94 since 99, been a very good pickup.

Chris,

If you go with a Ford, stay away from the 03 and 04 diesel Power Strokes. They had a lot of problems with their computers,and it took a couple of years to get them straightened out, If you can find a 7.3, they are a good engine. Ford produced them through the 2002 model years. I don't think you can wrong with a Dodge/Cummins either. Not a fan of the early Duramax put out by GM. If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of diesels over gas.

Terry

Edited by terrymac

I own the '05 Duramax in a four door dually and it's been great, rides and drives like a cadillac and pulls like a workhorse, I usually run with a twelve foot overhead camper and two or three horses behind and have no complaints. I've wore out several trucks rigged like this since the mid 80's and this is the best I've had. Mine is completely stock, no chips or exhaust work of any kind. I live in northeastern Utah so there's a mountain pull between here and everywhere else on the map. No overheating and pretty decent mileage even over the worst pulls like Vail Pass that takes you up to I think about ten or twelve thousand feet going into Denver. I drive an '07 Power Stroke at work everyday and it's been a headache, lots of breakdowns, noise, and plenty of smoke but not much power. That thing has had so much warranty work done on it it's ridiculous, I don't see how anyone could afford to own it once the warranty ran out. I hope it's just a lemon and they're not all like this one.

I have a 01 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins 6 spd that has 216,000+ miles on it.

It really depends on what YOU are intending to do with the truck. I tow heavy loads most of the time, so I went with a diesel. Tons of torque, good fuel mileage when loaded (14mpg @ 18,000#), and the stability of the dually has helped when loaded. There is rarely a time now when my truck does not have a trailer on it. My trailers run from 12' to 40' long. Diesel also lasts longer engine wise, and fuel wise-it won't go bad even after years of sitting- not like gasoline will. Oil changes are more expensive -12qts,and filters cost more too. A diesel needs clean fuel, and oil to live the longest.

Transmissions-if it is MY truck it Will have a stick shift. All brands have had problems with the autos behind the diesels. The sticks usually give you a far lower first gear (granny gear) to get heavy loads started-helps on hills too, and the ability to push start if you pull a DOH!

I will say look at the Dodges (2nd generation with the 24 valve Cummins), go diesel, and a stick.

Someone may come on and suggest a Toyota, like belly buttons everyone has and opinion. The thing is that any truck abused will break, some are lemons, and some are spectacular. YOU need to figure out what your usage will be, and then go from there. You can get a lot of info on the Dodges at www.tdr1.com this is the website dedicated to the Dodge Cummins trucks from the Turbo Diesel Register.

Wow thanks for all of the replies guys. I have been looking at diesels and I am a fan of manual transmissions. Its just hard to find one with a stick in it. My intetions with the truck are to pull around the horse trailer and the flatbed. Both goosenecks and a lil on the heavy side. Right now I have an 05 F 150 im going to get rid of. And I have been a ford fan all of my life, but I have researched the 6.0 and from what everyone has said, Im staying far away from them. And again trying to find a Dodge is almost trying to find a needle in a hay stack lol. Oh well thanks guys for all of the suggestionis. Im going to go and look around today and see what I can find. Oh and with the dodges, are there any age ranges to stay away from? Ive heard from the 99 down they had problems with the lift pumps going out.

Thanks Again Guys,

Chris

Chris,

I had a 97 Dodge Cummins, put almost 300,000 miles on it, and never had it in the shop. It was running as good the day I sold it, and it was when I bought it off the lot new. It was during the 1998 model year they went to the 24 valve configuaration. That old Cummins has been around a long time, and is one of the most dependable every built.

Terry

I'd also recommend the Ford 7.3L. I had an excursion with that engine and absolutely loved it. I'm going to be in the market for a truck in the next year and getting another 7.3 is at the top of my list right now.

Chris,

You mentioned about the lift pumps that's problem is on the 98.5 & up to I think maybe 04 & that's on the 24 valve when they go out the usually take the injection pump with it.The older 12valves are really bullet proof.I have 2 of them & get 22 empty & around 12-13mpg w/a total weight of 17K towing.

Bob

i love my 97' ford with 7.3 turbo. i dont think i would buy a new ford diesel though cuz the whole cab has to be lifted off to work on engine...dealer has a special lift for it...

If you get a used Dodge 24V more than likely the lift pump has already been replaced, maybe a couple of times. I may hold the record with 110,000 miles before mine went. I replaced it with a FASS HPFP which has a better reputation than the original Carter unit. I wouldn't let the lift pump problems keep me from buying one since there are now alternative units to put in it's place.

Again, if you are considering a Dodge check out TDR's website, you could spend a week researching everything available.

My truck has the 4:10 gears which are better for pulling, at the expense of a couple MPG.

I had one local cowboy tell me that at the rodeos he attends the majority of the trucks towing the horse trailers are Dodges. The older ones may not have the ride quality, or the creature comforts of the Ford's, and GM's , but they do have the Cummins which is one Hell of an engine. After owning this truck I am never going back to a gas powered truck.

See if there is someone that you know that would let you drive their truck for awhile to see how you like it.

You can check out info on Dodges @ Diesel Truck Resources ,there's some good ones forsale in the classified,

Thanks again guys. So far I have looked at a couple of trucks and have been doing a lot of research. So far I have looked at 2 dodges, both are the 24 valves with the 53 block..and they are cracked so I passed lol. But on monday I have an appointment to go and look at an 03 f250 4x4 with a 7.3 and a 6 speed. Hopefully this truck will be a winner. Again thanks to everybody.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by welder5724

--Good luck with the search for the truck! I drive a F-250 7,3 2001 and I love it! It pulls anything! :) We buy and sell horses, and this truck it great for pulling heavy trailers! :)

If you are used to work on your own truck, F150, then stay with Ford. If you've learned to work on one brand, it's always easier to stay with it since a lot of stuff is the same on different models..

What I know about the competition, Chevy has had problems with diesel pumps, and Dodge trucks aren't always that comfortable. On the other hand, Chevrolets Allison gears is great, and so is the Cummings diesel.. And yes, Fords early models of the 6.0 might be a good thing to stay away from..

Maybe have a look at www.thedieselgarage.com? :)

Rik

Thanks Rik, I have already signed up over there at thedieselgarage.com But theres just a bunch of stuff to read lol. and I have been trying to make a list on what to look at in a truck. With the research and everything I have done, along with a few test drives. I have to say I want a Dodge lol, I like the power of a cummins. But with everything I have looked up, I dont have a clue on how to test the lift pump on the 24 valves before I buy one. And as soon as I buy one its getting a F.A.S.S. replacement lol. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Chris

A fuel pressure gage will tell you the status of the lift pump. That will be one of my next purchases. The Injector pump has a non self priming pump built in. The way I found out my lift pump was toast was after a fuel filter change. Once I broke the seal, the injector pump lost its prime, and the truck wouldn't start. I didn't go with the FASS system, just their HPFP since I don't have the problems that the FASS is supposed to cure. I strongly recommend looking at TDR1.com if you decide on a Dodge.

If you're looking at Dodge 2500 Cummins for towing, look for an 04-05 w/ 6spd tranny. These years also get the best mileage out of the 3rd gen trucks.

I've got an '06 2500 48RE4x4 that I've been happy with as my daily driver, weekend workhorse.

The 12v truck are 94-98.5 -

The 24v trucks ran 98.5-02 (2nd generation) - these use the VP44and lift pump. These guys had trouble with the IP when the ULSD came out. There was just less lube for the pumps. You'll want to run an additive (SuperTech TCW3 is very effective for the cost). The heat under the hood also ended up killing the plastic control module for the electronics of the pumps too. Dad's '99 is on it's third IP and LP in 180k. Been a dang good truck aside from that (dad's a farm guy).

The common rails are 03-09 - these use the CP3 injection pump. They're less susceptible to the perils of not enough lube that the VP44 truck had. Some changes came in '06 in regards to HP numbers and cosmetics. Then 07.5 came the 6.7L in lieu of the 5.9L. The new 6.7L are suppose to have a crapload of power compared the 5.9L but that's if you get that DPF/emissions junk off the truck. The stuff just chokes the heck out of the engine and causes more problems than it solves for a Cummins owner. The 6.7 trucks have a better auto tranny than the5.9l trucks have in regards to gearing. Its a 6spd compared the 4spd.

All the duallys run 410 gearing. So if you end up with a DRW and manual tranny, you're going to have super low overall gearing.

Some forums you can check out:

www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

I also echo the comments about extra fuel filtration on the diesel trucks. Getting contaminated fuel will, in the least net you terrible driveability and at the worse, melt down your pistons from a stuck injector. I'm planning to ad the GDP 2micron filter kit. The FASS is a good system and has been around a while. a good FW separator goes a LONG way in keeping these trucks on the road.

Edited by Shorts

well for the money I think going for a Pete or KW for the money i can have a big truck with big motor and better breaks for less money and built to do a days work. keeping my old 92 dogde for run around and geting big one to pull my trailer and haul cows and hay looking at 98 pete for under 20,000 and thinking that is the way for me to go if can find a duble over drive should get about 9-11 mpg

Russ

Not all duallies have 4:10's, I have driven 2 that had 3:55, and I believe 3:73 gears. I noticed that they turned a lot less RPM at freeway speeds, and checked the build tag. I almost went with the 3:55's for mileage, but elected to get the 4:10's instead. Glad I did.

As to VP44 pumps, your mileage will vary in terms of how long it lasts. My LP went 210,000, my brother's went 30,000. I am still on my original VP44 @ 216,000 miles. I miss quoted earlier on my lift pump, it wasn't 110,000 when it went out, it was 210,000 which was during this past winter.

The problem with the VP44's is that it is an electronic pump that relies on fuel pressure , and flow to lube it, and keep it cool. That is why you sometimes lose the IP when the LP goes out. So far mine seems to be fine, and I do not run any additives. The main complaint I have is with the APPS sensor that gives a dead pedal at times. One of the TDR members has a replacement that has good reviews.

Here in the desert I have yet to drain any water out of my fuel bowl.

On oil filters DO NOT USE FRAM FILTERS.

Geno's Garage has some pretty good deals on Cummins stuff.

I was a big block gas engine fan for years...pulled trailers for many many miles...

Then I got my first diesel awhile back...nothing fancy, just an old 1995 F350 crewcab 4X4 with a 7.3 in it.

WOW...am I impressed!

Ol' truck gats 25 to 27 mpg empty and about 17 pulling my heavy ol' 4 horse.

And gobs of power down low that I could never get out of a gas big block. The 454's I used to build have more power up high than this but I hardly ever used them there.

The diesels seem to need more maintenance...as in more frequent oil changes etc...but I'd never want to be pulling with gas again.

I've been looking for a dually truck now...an older one. Wish I could get a Ford with a Cummins in it!!!

All the older Dodges I've looked at have serious front end problems or the interiors are falling apart.

I like the old 7.3's just fine but they cost a lot more to rebuild than a Cummins and can't make the horsepressure that a 5.9 can.

Russ

Wish I could get a Ford with a Cummins in it!!!

All the older Dodges I've looked at have serious front end problems or the interiors are falling apart.

Get crackin: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cummins-conversions-shop-talk-tools-fabrication/ :spoton:

Dodge for as long as I can remember have had crappy front ends. You end up renting them really :rofl: As for the interiors I think Chevy won that battle. I found my K1500 to be pretty comfortable. I'd prefer a Chevy interior on a Cummins engine.

The nice thing about these big three trucks is there is a real good aftermarket market. You can find all kind of goodies for the truck from top to bottom, head to tail.

And I stand corrected on the DRW gears. Learn something new every day!

Well guys thanks for all of the replies again. And just an update, I ended up with a Ford F350 srw. Its got the 7.3 and the six speed. All the dodges I looked at seemed to have right around 200,000 miles with the manual trans and they still wanted around 15,000 for them. I picked this truck up for 13 and it has 128,000 on it now. And so far so good. Although this truck has the 3.73s in it, it is nice on the highway btw. But as for pulling around the trailers I have a low hole on the trans to make up for the gearing. Thanks again for all of your guys help.

Thanks,

Chris

Good choice if its anything like my dads rigs. Just info for ya, his first f350 with the 351Windsor did 200k miles between engine rebuilds. He did that twice, sold the truck with 500k miles on it. We beat that thing up pretty good and it towed horse trailers between wyoming and cali for some time. He replaced it with a 02 f350 fifth wheel 7.3l diesel. He rolled over about 250k miles and had to get the front end overhauled and the fluids changed. It still purrs like no other and I am sure will get many more miles out of it. All I can recommend is changing the fluids and watch the front end bearings and you should be good to go. Enjoy.