AmandaM

Where To Find Larger Size Hole Punches?

I need a 1" round punch, but have not had much success in finding one that size. Any suggestions??

Go to home depot and find a pipe nipple the size you are looking for. Sharpen it on the grinder.

Aaron

Any machine shop should be able to make one of those in about 15 minutes. Pay a few bucks extra and have them make it out of chrome rod.

Hi Amanda,

CS Osborne makes one, Kevin at Springfield Leather should be able to get one for you. Just call Kevin.

If you know someone who works at a power plant, have them get you a scrap piece of Schedule 80 304 stainless and make your own punch. It will last for a while, you will have to push the leather "holes" out of it or it will jam up.

Art

I need a 1" round punch, but have not had much success in finding one that size. Any suggestions??

Try industrial, mechanical, automotive tool supply for gasket cutting punches if you don't want to make one yourself.

Standard wall (schedule 40) 1" pipe has an ID of 1.049". OD of all North American 1" pipe is 1.315". The ID changes with different wall thickness (different schedule numbers). Applies to SS, black pipe or galvanized pipe. European pipe has different dimensions.

3/4" pipe has an OD of 1.050", so would be a better choice for 1" holes.

File the taper on the inside using a round file, or use a Dremel grinder. You can cut a slot in the side to drop out the cuttings just like a drive punch. Screw a pipe cap on the top if you wish to close the end.

Edited by northmount

I take the 1" pipe, chuck it in the lathe and grind a bevel to get the edge intersection with the inside diameter of .975" then dress the inside a touch, then smooth-up with ceramic. They don't hold an edge that long, but are easy to sharpen. I normally put the bevel on with a tool, then stone the final edge because Schedule 40 or 80 are relatively thick.

Art

Try industrial, mechanical, automotive tool supply for gasket cutting punches if you don't want to make one yourself.

Standard wall (schedule 40) 1" pipe has an ID of 1.049". OD of all North American 1" pipe is 1.315". The ID changes with different wall thickness (different schedule numbers). Applies to SS, black pipe or galvanized pipe. European pipe has different dimensions.

File the taper on the inside using a round file, or use a Dremel grinder. You can cut a slot in the side to drop out the cuttings just like a drive punch. Screw a pipe cap on the top if you wish to close the end.

Harbor Freight gasket punches, has a spring loaded center to push scraps out.

Kevin

If you do grind out the inside, then you need to knock out the cutting after each hole because it will wedge inside, inside the taper.

So probably is better to use STD wall 1" pipe and do the taper on the outside like the typical drive punch.

If you have a lathe, then you can do a better job and be properly sized.

Otherwise, your best deal is Harbor Freight like Kevin says. Depends on how many times you are going to use it, and how long you have to wait to be able to finish your job.

Edited by northmount

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/tools/tools.html scroll about half way down the page to find the single punches.

I buy them off Ebay. The yard sale searchers seem to find a lot. I got up to 1-7/8's inch recently. (a hand held punch)

Jim