Sign in to follow this  
MarkB

Cowboy Cuffs

Here is a pair of cuffs I did awhile back.

Mark

Cuff 1 - Copy.JPG

post-9505-126629983894_thumb.jpg

Here is a pair of cuffs I did awhile back.

Mark

Cuff 1 - Copy.JPG

Love the style of these cuffs. Very unique. Looking to see some more!

Storm

Could some of you cowboy types explain to me the purpose of this piece of gear? Are cowboy cuffs just for pretty or do they serve a utilitarian purpose?

I was told it Keeps your shirt cuffs clean.....and when you are roping cattle

it will keep your wrist from gettind a Bad Rope Burn .

they also good on you in Town on Saturday Nite.

I remember seeing some cowboy cuffs when I was a kid on my granddad's ranch. Grandpa told me then that he mostly used then when he was fencin', that is: stringing up or repairing barbwire fencing. The cuffs saved a lot of snags and tears on his shirt sleeves from the barbs on the fencing wire. The ones he had were made from the shafts ( the top parts ) of an old pair of cowboy boots which is not surprising as there wasn't much that went to waste on his ranch. His didn't have any snaps for closing the cuffs; that was entirely done by leather strings laced through puched holes. Of course they didn't have any fancy tooling either, just the stitching design from the bootmaker. I don't know if he ever had any "go to town" cuffs like he did in the boot and hat departments. I am sure many cowboys did as shown in the pic of an old time cowboy sporting a tooled set of cuffs that were closed by snaps/buttons.

Edited by WyomingSlick

Here is what I have been told but Cuffs

In the old days the shirts came with one length of sleeves so if you had long arms the shirt would not cover the whole arm leaving it exposed to the elements, sun,cold and anything that would cut burn or scratch you arm. cuffs would protect your from these things. some used gloves with the gauntlets for the same thing. There where times when they would not need to wear gloves and so the cuff act as gauntlets on the gloves.

I have no idea if this is true or not but makes sense to me. as I have long arms and if I have a shirt that is short I can use the cuffs to protect my arms.

Mark