StaceR

Recommendations On What Type Of Sewing Machine To Buy?

Hi.

I have been carving for about a year and a half. I like to make custom halters, headstalls, and

Breastcollars. I purchased a Cobra class 4 in January 2012 and the first 9 months were great but after that I started having problems with it. I am looking to buy a new machine that can sew up to 1/2 inch leather. Most of my tack is no thicker than 3/8, but I want one with plenty of power and a reputation for reliability.

Thanks!

Call Cobra, they back their machines.

I did talk to Cobra and tried their suggestions which have not helped. The machine was sent back to the store I purchased it from and they adjusted timing, but it did not fix the problem of the machine not being able to sew thru thick leather. It will "stall" when you have to start in the heavier thickness leather. They told me at sewing shop that the machine may not be powerful enough for what I'm sewing. The shop said they could put in a clutch motor, but i need more "slow" control than that would offer. The machine worked fine the first 8 or 9 months, but I was not sewing a lot in the beginning. My servo motor died after 11months and was replaced under warranty. ($184 dollar service charge though). I also change my needles frequently. Sorry, but I have not had a good experience with this machine/brand and I'm not interested in limping along with it anymore.

Well then, how much do you want for it, as is? And who did you buy it from?

Art

I did talk to Cobra and tried their suggestions which have not helped. The machine was sent back to the store I purchased it from and they adjusted timing, but it did not fix the problem of the machine not being able to sew thru thick leather. It will "stall" when you have to start in the heavier thickness leather. They told me at sewing shop that the machine may not be powerful enough for what I'm sewing. The shop said they could put in a clutch motor, but i need more "slow" control than that would offer. The machine worked fine the first 8 or 9 months, but I was not sewing a lot in the beginning. My servo motor died after 11months and was replaced under warranty. ($184 dollar service charge though). I also change my needles frequently. Sorry, but I have not had a good experience with this machine/brand and I'm not interested in limping along with it anymore.

Art,

I haven't advertised it yet in Craig's list, but I would like to get $1500 for it. I purchased the machine from Renton Sewing Machine Service in January 2012 and that is who has serviced it as well. I wish I had years of sewing experience, but I don't. It has been expensive and time consuming taking this machine back to the shop as I live about an hour away. I have orders coming in and I don't really have time to keep trying to get it to sew like it did originally.

I find it interesting that no one has any machine suggestions. I know there are several on the market. I really like the Adler 205. It is an investment, but seems to have good reviews from users.

Was the machine new when you purchased it, and what color is it? I have more than a few of these machines, and never a problem with any of them. I can sew 3/4" veg tan with mine without a problem and 1/2" sole bend without a problem. Before investing in a new machine, I would send the head back to Steve at Leather Machine Co in Ontario CA and have them put it in order. Steve should be able to send you packaging if you need it, but call him. Dave is also good if you can't get ahold of Steve. I can only assume your machine has a speed reducer, they need that if you are sewing heavy leather. I can't imagine the shop you bought it from would not be able to service it, but then that says something about them and if you should take it there again. Any industrial shop should be able to service that machine, or contact Steve if they need help. I've seen them fix real basket cases without a wimper. I'm not going to recommend you buy an Adler, I think you have the best machine for the money now and just need it fixed.

Art

Art,

I haven't advertised it yet in Craig's list, but I would like to get $1500 for it. I purchased the machine from Renton Sewing Machine Service in January 2012 and that is who has serviced it as well. I wish I had years of sewing experience, but I don't. It has been expensive and time consuming taking this machine back to the shop as I live about an hour away. I have orders coming in and I don't really have time to keep trying to get it to sew like it did originally.

I find it interesting that no one has any machine suggestions. I know there are several on the market. I really like the Adler 205. It is an investment, but seems to have good reviews from users.