Hi all -

I'm a newbie leatherworker. Forgive me if this an old subject.

I can't apply the dye evenly. I case the leather with water overnight in a ziplock bag, then let it return nearly to its original color and then dip-dye. I wipe the leather of excess dye and let it dry.

The leather comes out uneven: sometimes dark, sometimes mottled. I have the feeling that it's the Dye-Prep I use to deglaze that's the problem. I use it neat. Is that right or wrong? Is there another way of deglazing that won't cause these problems?

It's driving me nuts! All assistance gratefully accepted.

Hi Popper,

I don't case before dying, I do deglaze with isopropyl alcohol then apply dye with a sponge rolled in a tee shirt. Not a "dip" dye but actually apply great heaping spongefulls to the leather rubbing it on till even. Then I wipe it off with a dry cloth and if I don't like it goes back in. I'll even dunk it in the dye, but I use the sponge applicator the most. I also cut my dye about 50% with DEA, the Fiebing's stuff is always way too strong for that method, you can always do it again if you don't get it dark enough, kinda hard to go the other way.

Art

Hi all -

I'm a newbie leatherworker. Forgive me if this an old subject.

I can't apply the dye evenly. I case the leather with water overnight in a ziplock bag, then let it return nearly to its original color and then dip-dye. I wipe the leather of excess dye and let it dry.

The leather comes out uneven: sometimes dark, sometimes mottled. I have the feeling that it's the Dye-Prep I use to deglaze that's the problem. I use it neat. Is that right or wrong? Is there another way of deglazing that won't cause these problems?

It's driving me nuts! All assistance gratefully accepted.

Pete gave us the idea a while back about mixing dye with Bick 4. It seems to work well at having the dye go on evenly. The only other type of dying I like is mixing brown stain with neatsfoot oil. This mix goes on evenly.

ed

Thanks Art and Esantoro. That's just the sort of advice I'm looking for.

I've never heard of Bick 4: I'll look into it.

I do it the same as Art,I use denatured alcohol with a piece of Lambs Wool.Then stain with diluted stain useing a different piece of LW.I wash out both pieces of LW ,allow them to dry and reuse them many times over!

Thanks for all the terrific advice.

I have some Fiebing's thinner. Is that the same as denatured alcohol?