The Grizzly

Would Like Ideas On A Railroad Themed Belt For This Buckle. Thanks!

I have a friend who would like me to make a belt for him for this buckle.

buckle_railroad.jpg

He received this buckle from a family member who was part of those railroad companies. I would like some ideas on tooling designs for the belt. He wants his name centered on the back, for certain. After that, he told me to do what I thought would be best. Well, I'm not doing too well trying to come up with ideas lol.

I was thinking maybe a railroad track design around the belt...?

Looking for any ideas here, thanks in advance!

Edited by The Grizzly

I have a friend who would like me to make a belt for him for this buckle.

buckle_railroad.jpg

He received this buckle from a family member who was part of those railroad companies. I would like some ideas on tooling designs for the belt. He wants his name centered on the back, for certain. After that, he told me to do what I thought would be best. Well, I'm not doing too well trying to come up with ideas lol.

I was thinking maybe a railroad track design around the belt...?

Looking for any ideas here, thanks in advance!

My first thought was a railroad track. Unless he has a particular font in mind for his name, use one of the "Railroad" fonts. Google for the font. I have used some of those.

ferg

Edited by 50 years leather

How about a string of railroad cars sitting on a track, with his name sitting on a flatcar or two ... sorta as if the train was hauling huge carved stone letters?

Thank you both for the responses, the 'hauling rock letters' idea is pretty cool and totally not what I would have thought of :). I've only used lettering stamps up to this point, but I feel confident I could tool the letters into the belt to give me a wider range of fonts than the stamps I have. Guess I need to start searching for letter tooling tutorials. :) thanks again!

Tiger Pal beat me to it. I would also do various old rail cars. Maybe see if you can dig up some old pics of this particular rail line for rail car designs.

The cars will be a lot more work than track though.

Tiger Pal beat me to it. I would also do various old rail cars. Maybe see if you can dig up some old pics of this particular rail line for rail car designs.

The cars will be a lot more work than track though.

Those rail cars are going to be awfully small guys. Even on a 2" belt the cars, track, and wheels could only be a total of 1 3/4" tall max.

ferg

i've got a book of designs that includes a belt with semitrucks on it, so it has been done.

I''ll admit it looks like some special tooling for those tiny wheels thought.

I agree with Ferg: if people need to bring their eyes as close as 6" to see what it is all about, not talking about the amount of work, it's better to stick with the railroad track. Perhaps alternate lengths of track with puffs of smoke and just the engine funnels, sufficient to lead anyone thinking about the whole train? This would break the straightness of the sole track.