Sign in to follow this  
leatherkind

How To Glue Oil Tan Leather

Hi everyone, i wonder if anyone knows how to glue oil tan lather top side to top side. I have tried several different glue types and nothing sticks to it.

I need to secure three layers of oil tan for machine stitching and two of the layers are going top side to top side.

Thank you.

Edited by leatherkind

The glue just will not stick very well. I have glued the pieces together as usual and used hand shoe tacks every 3 or 4 inches on straight lines and every 1 1/2in or 2 in. on turns.

Just "clinch" the points on an iron plate VERY EASY just so that point turns a little, the head will stay above the leather making them easier to pull out. They do a great job of holding that leather together to stitch. Just pull them out with pliers when you come up next to them in the machine.

3 or 4 oz. size will do you, all shoe findings companies stock them or go to your local shoe repair shop to see if they will sell you a 1/4 or 1/2 a box. (a whole box is about $6.00 wholesale).

Southern leather in Denver stocks them.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I will try pins.

I was under impression that it is easy to ruin the surface with pins.

I will try to put them exactly where the stitch will go.

My plan B was to skive a little bit just enough to expose the fibers so the glue can adhere.

That can get messy though for i have no good skiver and i was trying to avoid it.

You can glue oil tan leather grain side to grain side if you rough up both surfaces.

post-22714-030306700 1320374919_thumb.jp