Wyvern

Inserts on care of your products

This might be the wrong place for this. If it is please feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

Does anyone put an insert or flyer with your products for customers about the care and feeding of the leather? Warning about crocking, dye ruboff, water spotting, waxing or cleaning, natural blemishes of the leather etc.. Is there a generic form somewhere I can adapt to my business?

On my horse tack, I include a short history of leather and a "care and feeding" guide. Mostly oiling and cleaning. It seems that most newbies to horses have some notion that all their tack will work better if they soak it in Neatsfoot oil overnight! And, a lot of makers of Civil War era items seem to feel that everything has to be hand stitched. Sewing machines were invented in the 1700s in France. By the beginning of the Civil War, almost everything for the government was machine stitched. I throw in a few other tidbits just to inform them.

Edited by HarryB

I didn't realise that sewing machines had been around that long. Are there any sites re. the development of the sewing machine that you know of, Harry?

Tony.

This might be the wrong place for this. If it is please feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

Does anyone put an insert or flyer with your products for customers about the care and feeding of the leather? Warning about crocking, dye ruboff, water spotting, waxing or cleaning, natural blemishes of the leather etc.. Is there a generic form somewhere I can adapt to my business?

I'd be interested in this too :)

HIJACKERS LOL

I too would be interested

Read it on the internet so it has to be true, right?! I was doing some researce some time ago because of all the claims that "my goods are all hand stitched, just like the originals" from guys making reenactment goods. Don't remember exactly where the info came from but I believe it was one of the encyclopedias.

I stand corrected: Wikipedia states that the sewing machine is credited to an Englishman in 1790.

I include a use/care sheet with my items. It isn't extensive, I wrote it myself. Probably most important wen including a sheet of your own is that you actually try the methods you suggest in order to assure they are beneficial ;)

Lots of info here

http://needlebar.org/bb2/index.php on the history of sewing machines and much more

china

I used to put a card in with my cases which told the history of the company on the front side with a thank you note for buying my case. On the back side I had some instructions on the care of leather and how to use the case.

I believe that these cards are very important for the customer.

This thread has reminded me that I need to make some new ones for my current products.

One of my customers reminded me a month ago that I need to be putting business cards in the cases we sell so customers can easily relay the right info when they get asked, "where did you get that cool case?" :-)