zuludog

Books & Websites

I came to leatherwork from my interest in knife making, as I needed to make sheaths. I surfed the Net and read as much as I could; these are some of the things I found useful ---

www.britishblades.com As you might expect, it's mostly knife making, but the forum has a section on sheaths and more general leatherwork

www.brisa.fi A Finnish company which supplies blades and other materials for knife making. It has several tutorials on sheath making

www.bowstock.co.uk Supplies leatherworking tools; has good tutorials on basic techniques and a conversion table of thickness measurements

Tandy has a depot in Britain so we can get everything they sell, including the books. However these are also useful, especially to British members. Libraries can order books for a small fee.

Leatherwork - a Manual of Techniques by Geoffrey West

Leatherwork - a practical guide by Chris Taylor

Leatherworking Handbook by Valerie Michael. I think this has made it across the Pond!

I also went on a sheath making course at The Identity Store. Sheath making, yes, but by necessity it covered a lot of basic leatherwork. You can Surf & read as much as you like, but nothing compares to being taught by an experienced instructor