After several attempts and much frustration, I think I more or less have an IWB I'm mostly happy with. I still have a few bugs I'm about to squash once and for all and need hubby to model and give feedback, but gosh almightly, I'm glad to get to this point. IWB was difficult for me as I'm not the ideal figure for this kind of holster. That's where a lot of frustration came from. I had little margin of error for comfort and concealment. Building this one was tough. I'm hesitant to post it but glad its this far along. Amazingly enough, this holster morphed from my bikini belt slide pattern.

Edited by Shorts

Hey Shorts,

The holster looks great! I completely understand your consternation with 'shape'. Not long ago I made up an OWB for my wife, and we found that moving a little more around the hips to about 4:30 or 5:00 position helped with the problem of drawing into the ribs.

You just named the holster. The Bikini IWB! :specool:

Looks very well made and functional. You could market it directly to women and would have a leg up on most holster makers.

Very nice work, just add a few polka dots and it's the itzi-bitzi. :thumbsup::rofl:

Hey Shorts, You made a VERY nice holster, you should be proud !!

Thanks gentleman :)

I'm on my way out the door but I have some more thoughts on this one. I'll reply when I get back. Take care

Mike, thanks for the thoughts. I have found the same as your wife in that when the holster is moved back it is a bit more comfortable. This one, while not uncomfortable, does have that 'there' feeling, which is comforting. Unfortunately, by moving the holster rearward, the butt of the gun is much more exposed. I just have no width to my body that it really pokes out the back. To remedy that I think I'll go to a more compact carry. I have been eyeballing the Springfield EMP ;) And I miss my Oacp :(

Srigs, that's very true. I guess the flip side is to no alienate male customers - "Oh, that's a chick holster" :o But women do need holsters that work. It's a tough nut to crack.

Ok, the holster itself, I had a few concerns. The straps do swivel, but in that, adds a bit of insecurity in their mounting points (the screw can be loosened over time with movement in the 'leftie loosey' direction). Once that is remedied, that'll be the majority of the edits. The next concern was the rear wing in the design. It has the potential to interfere with a clean grip/draw. Now, once the holster was molded and strapped on, I did have a clear draw and the grip was uncontested. I also had my husband try it on and he also had no issue with the rear wing interfering. Now, IWB on him, new ball game. He always carried in a shoulder rig.

I did notice on myself and hubby that our belts wanted to creep up on the waistline over the holster. I don't know if that was due to the design of the holster or if that is a wear characteristic of IWB in general. I don't know if that was a fluke or not. I wore it several days ago doing housework and a lot of moving around and it did not move my belt. If it did, I did not notice. For comfort of fit on the hip, the holster is very unobtrusive. It did not have pressure points on me and DH didn't experience any either. His feedback was a taller sweatshield all the way to the end of the grip safety tang.

I did mention this design came from my bikini belt slide. I used that pattern as a base because it did fit really comfortable. So I wanted to keep the gun in the holster the same way, just get it tucked inside instead of on the belt. I also wanted to keep the gun low on the waistline of the jeans instead of sitting higher up. I don't know how to do that now and reduce the hieght of the front and rear wings and still maintain the belt straps. I can however, go to a tuckable setup and if I do, I'll alter the position of the mounting points for them.

I don't know. I'm still hesitant on this one. I want to get a solid IWB down. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm over thinking these things, or if they are only issues that pertain to me so I'm trying to fix a problem that may not exist to the majority. <sigh>

Thanks everyone for the input.

Oh, I know you're gonna just HATE this suggestion....but here it is:

See if you can find a model with a 'bobtailed' grip. There, now I've done it, and your hubby can blame me for the required new aquisition. LOL

The EMP is a good way to go, as you significantly reduce the OAL of the pistol, but I just don't like the idea of dropping to 9mm. (personal preference and bias only) Have you considered checking out the ParaOrdinance LDA models? It's a pretty good trade off as far as I see, giving up the SA trigger for a more carry friendly package. Since it's DAO, there's no hammer spur/ring, and the GS isn't as extended (on some models). The Para CCW gives .45ACP in a designed for carry package that is about Commander size (4.25 inch barrel), while the CCO drops to the OACP. Not trying to sell a pistol, here, just reminding you of the options :).

I think there's not much to do to that holster to make it tuckable- maybe just add a cut down each wing, and you should be fine. I've got to get the kids ready for grandma's, but I'll be back later today and post the pics I PM'd you about. Have a great day,

Mike

...Srigs, that's very true. I guess the flip side is to no alienate male customers - "Oh, that's a chick holster" :o But women do need holsters that work. It's a tough nut to crack.

...Thanks everyone for the input.

I know how to solve that one. You make a slight modification and call the new model the Jockstrap IWB for the guys :thumbsup: I'm kidding kind of...

I have no concern on the back wing getting in the way because it was far enough back so it should be in the bend of the body. It looks like a good design to me.

Boy, that is great!

ArtS

Mike, looking forward to the pics and the friendly reminders of my options ;) I have found that the 3.5 .45ap is the smallest I can go and still shoot comfortably and accurately (loved my Oacp). For some reason I could not hit the broad side of a barn with a 3" Springfield Micro Compact model. I don't know if it was me or the gun, but that was my first and last experience with a 3" .45. I should give it a fair shake again, maybe try a different model. I have started to consider bobtailing my Commander. I'm not real sure about taking that plunge just yet, but it's looking like a viable option. I will be doing some other work to it that'll require a refinish so it'd be the perfect time to include that modification. Have a good time at grandma's :)

Srigs, the Jockstrap IWB :lol: But you do have a point, boost the machismo with the name. Hmm, I'd could have a field day with that project! Your observation on the rear wing is exactly what I experienced.

ArtS, thank you sir :)

Edited by Shorts

'nuther one. I extended the leather on the muzzle. And my stamp, courtesy of Dbar Leather :thumbsup:

Edited by Shorts

The harder I try to get my stitches to look that good, the worse they look. Real nice job.

The harder I try to get my stitches to look that good, the worse they look. Real nice job.

Thanks Jordan. I'm sure your stitches will come along just fine. With me, some days are definitely better than others.

A little insight here...I must say I'm pretty methodical in my stitching. Overall, if I feel resistance on the needle, it isn't going through the punched hole correctly. So I back it out and try again. Otherwise it'll tear through where it's not suppose to and leave jagged edges on the stitch groove. I take about 2hrs to finish stitching a holster (45min active stitch per side, then take a break, rethread needles, etc etc).

In the production of the holster, the stitches get rolled over by the stitching wheel probably 2-3 times before it is dyed and sealed. The first time is immediately after stitching. I gently press the leather flat to smooth any raised areas from the needles or thread, then I run the lines with the wheel. The next time is after wet molding, usually about 30-1hr after leaving the holster to begin drying. I take the stitch wheel and run the lines again, front and back. This helps to mold and set the leather around the stitches into a uniform pattern again. Especially since the leather collapses and squeezes over the threads during molding. It makes a nice channel again and can make a big difference in the look of a finished product. That's often the last time I run the wheel.

Another thing is, I only have use of my right hand. Making a holster from start to finish is an interesting production. I have to be pretty precise and careful in each step. I think that a decent holster emerges because I'm concentrating so hard lol

UPDATE -

I hvae been wearing this holster around the for entire morning. Got it on under a Tshirt and my loosefit Levis. I must say, it's pretty comfortable. I've been sitting and standing. I'm about to hit up some chores around the house and work on some other holsters.

I've been needing t odo a good wear review on this holster. So far, so good. I've got one one the table now for the 3" micro compact I recieved a day or two ago. That should disappear nicely.

Very good design and execution. From what you said it sounds very comfortable and the Micro-compact 1911 will be every easy to carry.

The micro compact is taking forever to dry. I went ahead and did another dipping in vinegaroon since the solution cured a bit more overnight and the holster was still a gray color. Those holsters take a while to dry and I'm getting impatient! The neat thing about them though is you can bone the heck out of them. The leather is a bit more forgiving to the boning tool. But it is tougher to press and mold without a hydraulic press. You win a little, give a little

On the micro compact I did need to trim down the top of the rear wing. The grip on the pistol is so short that it actually interferes withe the draw grip. I'll see how that adjustment takes. I haven't had the chance to even test fit the 1st one (no wing adjustment) but I have a 2nd one that's drying glue now with the adjustment. I'll find out soon enough I suppose.