Chavez

Sheridan Style Carving Books & Dvds

Hi again!

I am looking for some teaching material on sheridan style carving and I would appreciate any help on which book/dvd to buy.

So far I've bought the 21st century dvds on oak and rose carving and they have taken my tooling to the next level, however I still don't have anything on classical sheridan style.

I'm trying to decide between the "Sheridan Style Carving with Bill Gardner and Clinton Fay" book and the 21st century "Sheridan Style Leather Carving

by Chan Geer". Which one would be a better guide to sheridan style? I guess that the book will have more info in it, but I'd be grateful for any reviews.

Are there any other books or dvds I should consider?

Thank you!

I haven't seen the one by Chan Geer, but I have a copy of the other one by Gardner and Fay. It's chock full of "how to" things for Sheridan style carving. I'd recommend it highly.

One of our Guild members has has the CD " Learn Sheridan Style Leather Carving with Chan Geer" that we have been sharing at meetings - and also a Jim LInnell Sheridan Carving DVD. I also have the book you are talking about with Gardner and Fay. All are good information - Each has a little different method to get their beautiful end results.

An advantage to Videos is I can play then pause and try it, rewind if needed watch again. Not quite as good as a class but close!

Edited by Deb59

Hi again.

Does anyone know where I can order the dvd? I only managed to find it on the SD trading website but they're out of stock =(

Thanks!

Hi again.

Does anyone know where I can order the dvd? I only managed to find it on the SD trading website but they're out of stock =(

Thanks!

Chan is internet resistant. PM me and I will send you his phone number, he will sell you one.

Aaron

Hi again!

I am looking for some teaching material on sheridan style carving and I would appreciate any help on which book/dvd to buy.

So far I've bought the 21st century dvds on oak and rose carving and they have taken my tooling to the next level, however I still don't have anything on classical sheridan style.

I'm trying to decide between the "Sheridan Style Carving with Bill Gardner and Clinton Fay" book and the 21st century "Sheridan Style Leather Carving

by Chan Geer". Which one would be a better guide to sheridan style? I guess that the book will have more info in it, but I'd be grateful for any reviews.

Are there any other books or dvds I should consider?

Thank you!

Hi there Chavez, I have been teaching myself the Sheridan style using the following publications. "Sheridan Style Carving" with Bill Gardner & Clinton Fay. Plenty of illustrations of completed work. The next book I tried was "Sheridan Style" by Chan Geer. The book that really did it for me though was "Floral Pattern Drawing for the Artistically Impaired" by Pete Gorrell. He must have had me in mind when he wrote it. I personally found it to be easy to follow. At the end of the book there is a collection of line drawings (7 pages). As I also dabble in scroll saw work I made a set of templates that I could place in the basic forms. Regards, TapTapTap

I just ordered the original DVD from Geer from Hidecrafters. Yes the shipping is more than the DVD but all together it was $30 and i think any dvd that has the reviews that this one has is worth $30.

Dallas Cowboy,

Thanks for the info!!! Your googling skills must be much better than mine!

Went for 4 dvds so shipping wasn't too bad=)

Bob Park is at the very least, one of the very best out there on floral and Sheridan tooling. He has a book out and if you PM him, he will let you know how to get it. We are lucky to have him on this web sight giving advice and tips.

Bob

I talked with Chan yesterday about where to order his DVDs. He said that Sheridan Leather Outfitters keeps them on hand and also you can try Springfield Leather. He recommended Sheridan Leather as they are local to him and try to always have them there.