Greystone

Getting Bigger

I 've been wondering???? Very dangerous......

What machine would be best or an all around choice to sew heavier threads

207 being the lightest and up to or including some cords

main thought for application,,

A, Holster making,,,heavier thread 346 + for appearance as well as quality construction

B. Tack repair, saddle construction

Flat bed vs Cylinder or convertible

needle awl or heavy lock stich or ??

C. Possible harness repair,,traces hames, on occasions

PRIMARY interest A+B

I currently have a

consew 227R ,,

singer 211A166AA

a beast singer 145W304 , 2 needle which I use often as 1 needle

I've been doing canopy and tarp repairs and fabrication and would like to learn more leather work,,

holsters, horse tack, chaps motorcycle and horse

SO IF I was to look at a machine for the heavier work which type would work best,,,or all around??? compromise??

and what is the best direction for the heavier threads and work 1/2 to 7/8 up to 1"

ALSO thoughts of what other find a better choice for holster, and cases ??,easier to make ??odd shape things??? FLAT or CYL.. and why,,,,

OH SO MANY QUESTIONS ?? David

Edited by Greystone

The best solutions for these heavy thread projects are either a 441 clone (e.g. Cowboy CB4500, Cobra Class 4, Techsew 5100), or a new modified Adler 205-370, or 205 clone (CB205), with a bolt-on flat table attachment.

These machines have a 16.5" cylinder arm, take very large cylindrical bobbins and are built to handle very heavy thread, ranging up to #415. They all use system 7x3 (DYx3) and 794 needles and are able to sew into 7/8 inch of leather. I prefer using #277 thread in my CB4500. I use a #25 S point needle, but also have some diamond points to play with. #346 requires using a #26 needle and 415 needs a #27.

Indispensable is a drop down roller edge guide, but a swing-away guide will do in a pinch.

The next best option is a Union Lockstitch machine. This is a post bed, needle and awl machine, designed in the early 1900s and meant for sewing very heavy leather with very heavy thread. It sews with just about any size thread, if you have the correct needle for that thread (sizes up to #7). Awls are used between 1/2 to 1 size larger than the needle (sizes up to #8). There is a wax pot on top for use with liquid wax when sewing with linen thread. Originally built to sew 3/4 inch, many, myself included, have modified their ULS to sew 7/8 inch.

I keep my ULS threaded with #277, using a #2 needle and a #2.5 or 3 awl, depending on the density of the work. To use #346 requires a 2.5 or #3 needle and a #3 or #3.5 awl.

There are only a few machines that natively sew 1 inch. The Campbell High Lift is one. A Union Lockstitch can be further modified to sew 1 inch. A Luberto Classic can sew just over 1 inch. At this altitude it becomes extremely hard to hold down the leather as the needle or awl ascends. My Union Lockstitch has a coil spring that looks like it should be mounted on a small motorcycle's fork.

I 've been wondering???? Very dangerous......

What machine would be best or an all around choice to sew heavier threads

207 being the lightest and up to or including some cords

main thought for application,,

A, Holster making,,,heavier thread 346 + for appearance as well as quality construction

B. Tack repair, saddle construction

Flat bed vs Cylinder or convertible

needle awl or heavy lock stich or ??

C. Possible harness repair,,traces hames, on occasions

PRIMARY interest A+B

I currently have a

consew 227R ,,

singer 211A166AA

a beast singer 145W304 , 2 needle which I use often as 1 needle

I've been doing canopy and tarp repairs and fabrication and would like to learn more leather work,,

holsters, horse tack, chaps motorcycle and horse

SO IF I was to look at a machine for the heavier work which type would work best,,,or all around??? compromise??

and what is the best direction for the heavier threads and work 1/2 to 7/8 up to 1"

ALSO thoughts of what other find a better choice for holster, and cases ??,easier to make ??odd shape things??? FLAT or CYL.. and why,,,,

OH SO MANY QUESTIONS ?? David

How much is the rapid e machine will cost me? tq