Sign in to follow this  
tonyc1

Bushfires in Australia

Not only are 66 people dead but 640 homes and a couple of towns also. Tragic loss of life. A lot of livestock and pets etc.

Tony.

Not only are 66 people dead but 640 homes and a couple of towns also. Tragic loss of life. A lot of livestock and pets etc.

Tony.

Reading the news is always a removed sort of experience. But I can feel for the folks in Australia (aside from having a cousin and family in Melbourne). Here in Southern California, every year we have fires. Los Angeles County, San Diego County, Santa Barbara County; from the US-Mexico border north for 200 miles or so. These are no small things. The power of an uncontrollable fire is just about indescribable. As one who has walked through urban fire areas where homes block after block have been destroyed, you can't help but feel the human loss. You need common sense, caution and to listen to the authorities. The sad part is, some people NEVER learn.

As of this writing, the news is reporting 84 dead. Eighty-four people, eighty-four voices, faces, personalities. A terrible loss.

Harvey

Los Angeles

the number is now 108, sad day for australia

I see that the Police have re-arrested a suspected firebug. If he's guilty, I know what I'd do to him!

Tony.

OMG, how horrible... :( You mean someone set it on purpose?! That's even worse...

Just heard the death toll for the Victorian bush fires has hit 135, this is the worst natural disaster Australia has ever seen, I can tell you now that the person who started this better hope the polce catch him/her first

china

A horrible tradgedy - those firefighters working in their heavy gear in 115 degree teperatures are real heroes.

I saw some of this on the news. Really scary, horrible.

Tragic loss of life.

Anyone here "threatened" from this fire?

My heart goes out to each and all of you over there that may be affected in one way or other.

God Bless.

It's just heartbreaking. I live in an area where we've been surrounded by fires for 2 weeks. I slept in my car or drove around all night for 3 nights in a row. I've been taking the dogs with me everywhere I go. I've evacuated my mare. It's only the last couple of days that I've started to relax. I could see fires on 3 sides when I stood in my yard but luckily there has been no loss of life in my actual town.

the ones nearby have been devastated though. They might never know for sure how many died but it's risen to 210. Countless livestock and native animals have been lost too. The suffering is immense.

Maybe Roo, or some of the others who live there, can answer this... Is there any kind of relief fund set up that we can send donations to?

so kind of you to ask trooper, here is the link for the red cross in australia....the only good thing to come out of this disaster is the wonderful response from everyone

http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_em...appeal-2009.htm

cheers

My church voted last week to send our funds to the Lutheran Disaster Relief organization specifically for aid to Australia. Perhaps there is a local church in your area that is doing the same.

Thanks, Roo. That's exactly what I was looking for.

My church voted last week to send our funds to the Lutheran Disaster Relief organization specifically for aid to Australia. Perhaps there is a local church in your area that is doing the same.

That's very kind of your church, Jordan.

Tony.

Wow, that's fantastic and so very kind TrooperChuck and Jordan.

It's another bad day here today and after attending the community meeting last night I've decided to leave for the day. I am not prepared to stay and fight it so I will go. It's very smoky here and the wind is starting to pick up. I just hope we dont get any more lightening strikes or crazy fire bugs again.

Kanga:

Our prayers are with you. I live in an area prone to wild fires, so I can KIND OF understand what you're going through, but I'm sure nothing can compare to experiencing the real thing. Please keep us posted how things turn out for you. It's a long way from Australia to USA, but if there's a way to help, please let me know.

Chuck