Tae

How to sew keepers with no access to back side

Hello,

I have a question on how to sew on keepers when I don't have access to the other side of the leather. I would be grateful for any advice.

I got myself, for free, some polo leather knee pads with some good padding. They were free because it was missing all the straps and most stitching for the keepers for the straps came off. The body is still good, so I dyed it a little bit darker to hide the blemishes and reconditioned the leather. I can easily make the straps, but I'm having a difficult time thinking of ways to put the keepers back on.

The keepers were sewn first to the top layer, the second layer is padding, and the bottom layer is a thin piece of leather. This was all glued together, then stitched around. Since I can't seem to take the top layer off, I'm at a loss. Additionally, the holes for the stitching are there and are visible.

Should I try to somehow reuse those holes? I was thinking of using a curvy needle, but that's a really tight radius to go 1/8" from one stitch hole to next.

Is is what it kinda looks like, but with buckles with keepers instead of velcro, and a LOT older and used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-LEATHER-KNEE-PADS-...bayphotohosting

Also, for the straps, I was thinking a latigo belt strip from Tandy and cutting it up. Is there a preferred stuff for outdoorsy or sporty activities? I usually just carve patterns on veg tans, and am new at leathercraft, so this is unfamiliar territory for me.

Thanks!

Tae

unstitch the perimeter enough to get to the strap holes and then hand sew in the straps. then put it back togeather.

if you try to use a curved needle, you will probably spend 2 or 3x more time then what it would have taken to take it apart.