Finally made a saddle for myself

My sewing machine went postal, so I did this saddle one stitch at a time by hand.

Sewing skirts by hand is quite the project.

When I took these pictures I had just finished 4 days of starting a colt.

The Front Rigging, Back rigging and Fork cover are all out of 2 peices of leather laminated and sewed to make a Flat Plate rigging.

Critique is always welcome, Thanx Billy

post-15568-0-93855600-1400864480_thumb.j

post-15568-0-80445700-1400864603_thumb.j

post-15568-0-39515000-1400864642_thumb.j

post-15568-0-33291400-1400864719_thumb.j

post-15568-0-29932400-1400864766_thumb.j

.post-15568-0-11328700-1400864119_thumb.j

Edited by Billy H

Very Nice!

It has a spunky look to it. Some might say punchy.

More info please.

Who made the tree?

Who made your horn cap concho?

Stuff like that.

Joel

Thank you Joel.

The tree was byJon W.----- it is one of his fiberglass and epoxy incased wades with 93 degree bars with 4 inch hand holds, 4 inch cantle and 16 inch seat . Saddle was just a little wide for this colt, but starting a colt in a new saddle was not the best choice. The fleece needed sometime to compress. Most of the four days where spent doing ground work with two short rides.

Conchos are by a fellow named Gordy Alderson in Tucson.

WC leather

Tin seat this time, did it like Dale Harwood in his DVD accept without his skill :)

The rigging/fork cover was challenging! Lots of leather if I messed it up ( got lucky ) went on straight true and even and pulled down tight.

Not a real traditional look for a Wade but just had to get this idea on a build out of my system.

Back Billets are temporary until I finish sewing the pair that I will put on final, the ones in the pictures are single ply just done quickly so I could get this horse started. Regards Billy

That's an interesting idea Billy. Cool saddle. I bet it was a challenge. I sewed everything by hand for a couple of years until I could afford a machine. It was good experience but I am sure gald I have the machine now.

CW

Hi CW,

Hand stitching takes more time that is for sure. I think the saddle stitch over time will out last a machine stitch, but hard on my hands.

Thanks for taking a look.

That's a really good looking saddle Billy! thanks for showing it.

Best regards, Josh

Hi Billy, Interesting concept on the plate rigging and fork cover all in one. Not something I would do for myself, however; I make custom saddles and offer to my clients a whole host of different options (their choice i.e. custom) and this is something I will put in my album to show as an option, (if you don't mind). Especially for those that actually rope, as it looks like it may lend strength and longevity to the rigging on real using saddles.

Bob

Josh------ Thank you. Any new saddles on your bench?

Hey Bob!

Feel free, It is a little tricky figuring out how to make it work right ( at least for me ). When I started this project I was not sure that hide was going to be utilized well, but after build it came out about like a traditional plate rig saddle.

So far I have had it on two horses and am pleased with the way it is working. If I do another build like this there would be a little tweaking on the pattern. My skirts ended up about a half inch shorter than I planned. I had a brain fart and forgot how much a skirt will shorten up after blocking ( ugggggg ):). Have not weighed it yet but feels about like any other build when swinging it up on the horse.

Thanks for looking and feel free to critique it always helps on the next one. Billy

I'm afraid I'm still stuck at #3 Billy. I'd sure like to get another one built, I just need to find that magic intersection of time and money :cowboy:! In the meantime I sure appreciate you, CWR and the others posting your new ones!

Best regards, Josh

Edited by Josh Ashman

post-15568-0-64367500-1408145308_thumb.j

Hello to all,

Thought I would give a up date after putting some hours in the seat.

Overall --- very pleased with the saddle, it sits all the horses I have been riding very well and pulls down real nice.

I built the ground seat like Dale Harwood did in his DVD series. The first 10 rides or so- felt a lot different than what I was use to, but have really gotten to like it a lot.

The all in one Fork cover-Flat plate-Rear rigging seems to work very well for me and I am sure to build some other saddles with this process again.

There are so many things to improve upon after yet another saddle under my belt, but I do not think that will ever end.

I rushed at the end of this build and I see that every time I swing the saddle up on a horse. Hand stitching a entire saddle is very time consuming but I worked very hard at making my stitches look nice and I think that shows.

I never got any crtiques on this saddle, but I would welcome them good or or what needs work. Best to all Billy

Edited by Billy H