Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

latest briefcase

Here's my latest briefcase and what I think will be my standard design for some time. Thanks for all your help.

Ed

DSCN0070.JPG

DSCN0071.JPG

DSCN0073.JPG

post-853-1183875801_thumb.jpg

post-853-1183875811_thumb.jpg

post-853-1183875826_thumb.jpg

Wow, nice work. How long does one of those take you? Is that hand stitched? Very impressive.

John

Wow, nice work. How long does one of those take you? Is that hand stitched? Very impressive.

John

All of the stitches are finished up by hand. The handle assembly is all handstitched. As are the strap retainers. the rest of the bag is machine stitched, except when I make a mistake and have to redo the stitching by hand.

Even though the long stitches are done with a machine, all of the bottom corners are doubled over with hand stitching.

I've tried to figure out exactly how long one bag takes, and it's between 10 and 15 hours. I'd like to gt it down to eight.

Very nice work, Time is never on our side. Id like to get my items done faster as well it just never happens for me.

What are you charging for one of those briefcases?

Very nice! And I've got the same question as wolvenstien...how much?

Looks like a great design, Ed. Very very nice!

What type of leather are you useing and what finish

did you put on it. what sewing machine do you use? :cowboy:

Edited by Luke Hatley

that is one sturdy looking bag ed!

i would think if you could make or have most of the parts pre made, you could cut quite a bit off the time it takes to make one. the small tool bags i make are not nearly as complex. they are made up eight pieces and i would have to say that at least half to two thirds of my time is spent making the parts

that is one sturdy looking bag ed!

i would think if you could make or have most of the parts pre made, you could cut quite a bit off the time it takes to make one. the small tool bags i make are not nearly as complex. they are made up eight pieces and i would have to say that at least half to two thirds of my time is spent making the parts

Now that I'm currently working on ten bags simultaneously I'm learning more about what takes the most time. Ironically, the stitching is now the easiest and least time-consuming part. As you say, cutting out the pieces and and prepping them to be placed on the bag is what takes the most time. Today I'm going to try to make handles for all of the bags. I think it will take me the entire day.

ed

Very nice! And I've got the same question as wolvenstien...how much?

The bag has finally evolved to where I want it to be. I sold this one for $375. I would be extremely happy if I could get $450 per bag.

Currently there's a guy on Ebay who consistently sells his bag (about 50 a month), which he has made in Mexico, for $400 to $450. He has clever marketing, but the craftsmanship and hardware are really lousy. I really can't believe so many people are satisfied with his bag.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leather-Briefcase-Lapt...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway, I really think there is a market for these kinds of bags. Bags of this nature and of the highest craftsmanship, perhaps entirely hand stitched, sell for $1300 and higher, mostly in Europe.

Ed

Ed,

Take a look here... Colonel Littleton

Yours, in my opinion, are much nicer, and would be my choice if I were in the market. Check out the retail.

Ed,

Take a look here... Colonel Littleton

Yours, in my opinion, are much nicer, and would be my choice if I were in the market. Check out the retail.

Thanks, Bruce. I received a stand for my handheld 3/8" drill today, so now I have my little portable burnishing station all setup. I'm hoping this will cut down on some production time and fatigue.

I've seen the Colonel's bags before and today received some 5.5 oz crazy horse leather from Siegels that looks similar to what the Colonel's using.

Ed

you should pick yourself up a small bench top drill press. harbour freight sells them for $80 shipped. it's a lot quieter than a hand held drill and don't take up much space. i have one that i leave one of those plastic weaver burnishers in

What does the colonel mean "Motif Engraved"

What is engraving leather?

LOL

Great work Ed....!

Ditto...great work, Ed. Charge more. You're clearly worth it.

What does the colonel mean "Motif Engraved"

What is engraving leather?

LOL

Great work Ed....!

it is an engraved brass plate that is mounted on the items. :cheers:

you should pick yourself up a small bench top drill press. harbour freight sells them for $80 shipped. it's a lot quieter than a hand held drill and don't take up much space. i have one that i leave one of those plastic weaver burnishers in

Beez,

I'm glad you posted this information, as my next question was about a benchtop drill vs. a handheld in a stand, which is more quiet, better for burnishing, etc.

One of these days I'll have to post pics of how I've modified my one bedroom apartment into a leatherworking studio with a bed and a kitchen.

I went with a handheld drill in a stand because I can move it around and store it easily. I put one of my Tandy marble slabs on the base to keep it from tipping over. It is rather loud, and, to tell the truth, I really like using a drill press. In my first day using it I got quite a bit done.

I'm going to look into that $80 drill press. I bet it will be nearly as easy to move out of the way.

Thanks for the heads up..............................................................................

Just got back from harbour freight. I wouldn't mind going with the cheapest model they have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=44505

The base looks like plastic. Would I be courting danger if I were to use the press not bolted down to anything, just a 25 to 30 lb weight on the base?

Ed

Edited by esantoro

Beez,

I did it. I ordered a drill press from Harbour Freight. It was a no brainer. With all the burnishing I've got to do, it doesn't make any sense burning out several handheld drills and putting up with the noise.

Plus, now I can use the handheld drill in its stand as a dedicated hole puncher for straps.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

Great job on the briefcase. Really love the design.

I wanted to make one suggestion though. On your liners. When you secure them down to the panels prior to sewing. Skive the edges down about 3/32" from your stitch line to the edge. This way when you glue the seams down and sew it up the liner won't show through the edge. Then when you slick it it, it will look like one piece.

But excellent work.

Sorry I got to this after you ordered the drill... but you dont want the one you pictured above.... you want this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=44506

its 10 more, but it has a key chuck instead of the keyless chuck. The reason I cay you want it keyed is because there is a hell of a lot more power with these than you get with a hand drill.... if you tighten it up and try to untighten it with the motor running the keyless is apt to rip a finger off....

Also, they run sales on these all the time.... I would have suggested you talk to one of the sales people and tell them you want one at sale price, but they will dicker with you, then tell them that you will buy the 2 or 5 year extended warrenty....

Thats what I did, bought mine off sale at sale price but I spent an extra 15 or so for the 5 year warrenty.... I dont use mine much... but I bet you will be using your quite alot....

As for it needing to be bolted down... mine is weighted real well... I use it for drilling metal and wood from time to time and I usually pick it up off my work bench and take it out side to a portable benck I set up out there to keep me from having to clean up as much in my garage....

When you get it you will have to assemble it, and put the chuck into it... make sure you have a short piece of 2x4 wood to use to press the chuck into it.... keeps you from maring it and the press plate.

Hope this helps...

Sorry I got to this after you ordered the drill... but you dont want the one you pictured above.... you want this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=44506

its 10 more, but it has a key chuck instead of the keyless chuck. The reason I cay you want it keyed is because there is a hell of a lot more power with these than you get with a hand drill.... if you tighten it up and try to untighten it with the motor running the keyless is apt to rip a finger off....

Also, they run sales on these all the time.... I would have suggested you talk to one of the sales people and tell them you want one at sale price, but they will dicker with you, then tell them that you will buy the 2 or 5 year extended warrenty....

Thats what I did, bought mine off sale at sale price but I spent an extra 15 or so for the 5 year warrenty.... I dont use mine much... but I bet you will be using your quite alot....

As for it needing to be bolted down... mine is weighted real well... I use it for drilling metal and wood from time to time and I usually pick it up off my work bench and take it out side to a portable benck I set up out there to keep me from having to clean up as much in my garage....

When you get it you will have to assemble it, and put the chuck into it... make sure you have a short piece of 2x4 wood to use to press the chuck into it.... keeps you from maring it and the press plate.

Hope this helps...

I really appreciate your nudging me to get a press. I had been thinking about it but needed just a bit more motivation. I went with the least expensive one because I thought it would be the smallest. All I need it for is to drill holes in aluminum stays, to puch holes in leather, and to burnish. I do like that the one I ordered comes with a small lamp.

Are these presses a lot more quiet than a handheld drill?

i have the one wolvenstein listed. as far as i know, they all come with a cast iron base so there should be plenty of weight to keep it in place.

and yes...they are much quieter than a hand held drill!!

Yes, Much quieter, when assembled correctly, you turn it on, and it is quieter than a dryer running without clothes in it.... As for the size, both the drills are the same size, the one differance in the two is the chuck and the handle. I think you will like it once you get used to it.

Ed,

Great job on the briefcase. Really love the design.

I wanted to make one suggestion though. On your liners. When you secure them down to the panels prior to sewing. Skive the edges down about 3/32" from your stitch line to the edge. This way when you glue the seams down and sew it up the liner won't show through the edge. Then when you slick it it, it will look like one piece.

But excellent work.

Thanks for the feedback. i had been wondering whether I should do this. i was worried that if I cut off too much of the liner it would be too short to get caught by the stitch and then would be held on only by contact cement. My stitching has gotten much straighter since this worry so I should go ahead and give it a try now.

Now I'm trying to think of the best way to skive this liner, which is sometimes only 1.5 oz suede. Sometimes it's 3/4 oz suede. I was thinking that I could glue the liner down securely to the edge, then lightly skive the entire edge, veg tan (sometimes chrome tanned or Latigo) and suede lining. My only other option is to cut the suede lining back with a scissors, which would risk inaccurate cutting.

Just when I thought I was cutting down my prep time....

Thanks, again. I'll do this with the next bag.

Ed