Instinctive

Engineered Stitching/lacing Pony

Some 20 years ago I stopped doing leather work when I started a business related to my engineering training. I'm retired from that now so I'm blowing the dust off my tools I kept in storage all those years.

I never had a stitching/lacing pony so decided to make my own. I didn't want a horse because of storage space. There is only so much room in the garage (not allowed to work in the house).

I had the intention of just copying a basic design but my engineering mind could not help itself. Staring with a computer aided design (CAD) I did of a typical pony, then testing and modifying as I built, it appears I finished up with a portable pony thsat has the stability of horse.

My "pony" has an extension to move the jaws out from my body to accomodate my "thick" build. When I did this, it was not as stable as I liked so I used a piece of built-in vacuum cleaner pipe I had, made a recessed socket in the bottom of the extension to hold the pipe. The stability pipe can be cut to suit any chair height and is removable for storage and transport.

Now I have a very stable, comfortable and portable pony-horse.

As built drawing are next.

post-58588-0-56893400-1422062536_thumb.j

post-58588-0-99089000-1422062536_thumb.j

post-58588-0-31930600-1422062537_thumb.j

post-58588-0-67339900-1422062537_thumb.j

post-58588-0-61743000-1422062539_thumb.j

Edited by WRLC

Excellent work and great idea with the pipe.

I'd appreciate the drawings when you get them up.

Michael,

Thanks for the comment and as soon as I have the "as-built" drawing ready, I will send you a copy.

I see that your have an actual shop with real tools. I would be very interested to see how it turns out if you make one.

Sugestions for improvements will be welcome.

Very nice belts by the way.

Neat idea for the pipe. I may have went with a piece of pvc for the pipe, but I still think it was a great adaptation. Love when people think outside the box.

Thanks for sharing.

Karina

Just getting started and I need one. Looking forward to the drawings. I may face the bottom with cork to keep it from slipping or marring wood surfaces. Might even be allowed in the house that way. :rofl:

I've been thinking about doing this exact thing without the extension as I want the work as close to me as I can. Maybe I should just break down and get new glasses!

Karina, I think I would use PVC too, even WRLC might have if he didn't already have something laying around.

I would really like the drawing for this also!