Sign in to follow this  
Matt Alsaker

Gun Belt - What Size Leather?

I'm going to attempt my first belt. It's going to be your typical trouser belt, not a western gun belt. I was considering using two layers of 6/7 oz leather. Is that that going to provide enough support when wearing a holster or should I be going heavier, maybe two layers of 8/9 oz?

Thicker will be sturdier, but at 12oz, you should be fine. I routinely make belts from 8/9 with a 4 oz liner and they support even full size steel 1911's with no problem. I suggest staying at around 1 3/8ths inch wide. That pesky 1/8th inch up to 1.5 has caused some issues with some makes of pants' belt loops. I don't know why, but I haven't had any issues since I started cutting then at just under 1.5 inches. It's probably the amount of material in the belt loop - some belt loops just don't have the space for a thicker belt.

And here's a convenient tip: cut one side wider than the other. When you go to glue the pieces together, it's a LOT easier having a little 'wiggle room'. Then, cut down the larger piece to the edges of the smaller one and complete.

From the old grump: I like to make mine from saddle skirting of 12/13oz weight - lined with 2/3oz. I have not run into the 1 1/2" problem that Twin oaks describes, although I suspect that there are some folks out there that feel that 'designer' jeans will somehow outdo regular 501 Levi's. I generally use Springfield Leather's stirrup strips, cut to the width I desire, line them so that the buckle end and the bitter end of the belt are left unlined for ease of buckling and wearing. That touch finally dawned on me after wearing out a couple of commercial LEO gunbelts, and seeing how they are constructed. Mike

P.S. The commercial LEO gunbelts I have seen and used are not nearly as heavy as 12/13 oz without the lining. . Thinking back, the last LEO rig I wore was a standard (for us out west) 3" belt of 8/9oz leather, lined with about 3 oz. When fully loaded up with holster, a Glock 21, two extra mags, two pair of cuffs, a radio, flashlight, collapsible baton (the ASP) and a folding knife --- we ended up with something over 9# hanging off our A#^%es.

Edited by katsass

Yep, Mike, I run into that "designer" jean thing all the time. I also keep reminding people that they're adding a fair sized spacer inside the waist line.....but they KEEP coming back and saying "My pants don't fit right now...".

My good customers understand the issue are already wearing pants one size larger to accommodate the shooter.

Yep, Mike, I run into that "designer" jean thing all the time. I also keep reminding people that they're adding a fair sized spacer inside the waist line.....but they KEEP coming back and saying "My pants don't fit right now...".

My good customers understand the issue are already wearing pants one size larger to accommodate the shooter.

That sounds a bit like the old story of the guy that 'normally' wore a size 9 shoe, but since a 9 1/2 felt so good he began to wear a size 10. Mike

I actually use a dial caliper for my belt material, . . . and I'll find two pieces I have that make a belt between .180 and .210. I really like hitting it .195 to .200, . . . they seem to be the better cross between pliability and strength.

My belt I have on right now is about 6 years old, . . . measures .250+ and has been a real trooper.

May God bless,

Dwight

Here is what I came up with. I used two piece of 6/7. I'm very happy with it's rigidity, but think I'll go with the advise from the Mike's and try a piece of 8/9 on the outside with a thinner piece for the liner. The belt barely makes it through the 1/4" belt slots I cut, which makes for a nice snug fit. I don't think it has even happened where I wanted to get back to work from vacation, but I want to start wearing it - still would rather be on vacation though.

post-28681-084236100 1345603627_thumb.jp

Do you sell that as a 1 1/2" belt or do you have to make a distinction? I just made an 1 1/2" belt and the buckle is kind of tight so I went back and looked at an old gun belt I had purchased from a well known maker and it is not quite 1 1/2" wide, it's about 1 3/8". I guess if I make more I will make them slightly smaller.

Thicker will be sturdier, but at 12oz, you should be fine. I routinely make belts from 8/9 with a 4 oz liner and they support even full size steel 1911's with no problem. I suggest staying at around 1 3/8ths inch wide. That pesky 1/8th inch up to 1.5 has caused some issues with some makes of pants' belt loops. I don't know why, but I haven't had any issues since I started cutting then at just under 1.5 inches. It's probably the amount of material in the belt loop - some belt loops just don't have the space for a thicker belt.

And here's a convenient tip: cut one side wider than the other. When you go to glue the pieces together, it's a LOT easier having a little 'wiggle room'. Then, cut down the larger piece to the edges of the smaller one and complete.

1345603904[/url]' post='261328']

Here is what I came up with. I used two piece of 6/7. I'm very happy with it's rigidity, but think I'll go with the advise from the Mike's and try a piece of 8/9 on the outside with a thinner piece for the liner. The belt barely makes it through the 1/4" belt slots I cut, which makes for a nice snug fit. I don't think it has even happened where I wanted to get back to work from vacation, but I want to start wearing it - still would rather be on vacation though.

I have found that 1/4 belt slots are just not big enough for a holster that will be used with a gun belt. I have standardized a 3/8 slot, which happens to be the size of the smallest Dremel sanding drum and that cleans them up nicely.

Edited by D Fingers