Sign in to follow this  
oldgringo

Introduction

Hello. I am a new member from North California. I have joined this site to learn more about making saddles, tack, and that kind of thing. I have never been in a forum before so this all looks very strange, but I went to college so I have hope I can pick this language up. Like, what is an emoticon? I would like to post some pictures but I see something about they have to be a certtain size in some KB range, Is it 100? My pictures seem to have higher numbers, some with MBs. How would I make them smaller to post? I feel about as green as Spring grass here (and hoping I really do see some this Sprng), but everyone seems reasonably able to put up with new folks.

I just finished my third saddle. This one and number 2 were made for friends due to a deal my instructor cut with them. I made them pretty much for cost so that I could get more experience. Saddle No. 1 went to my daughter. About the time I finished it she was busy with other actitivites and riding with out with myself and other old men did not appeal to her much so she has been in it only twice I think. I finished it in '05. So I ride it. I 've roped mother cows, calves, posts, one dog that was in the gate stopping the cattle from going through, big rocks, and other stuff. And it seems to be comfortable and serviceable. Saddle No. 2 went to a cowboy who claims it is comfortable and and I've seen him rope a variety of living creatures with good results. No. 3 is going to another cowboy and it will see a lot of miles and dallies. I'm hoping it is a good brother to the other two. Well, I see a chance to shut up - so I will.

The Old Gringo

Oh my goodness! I see below now where I can attach a picture that can be 2MBs. So here goes. That would be Tess's saddle.

100_0033.JPG

post-5415-1197951540_thumb.jpg

Welcome and i glad you found us. That's a great looking saddle . I keep thinking i want to make a saddle but i got no horse. hmmm. anyway stick around and have some dounuts.

:welcome: Glad you are here! Nice saddle! That's a funny story about roping the dog. I hope you post more of your saddles!

Welcome Old Gringo, glad to see you found us. I'd be very interested to know just how hard it is to "rope a rock" pics would be nice as well.

Great looking saddle too, the tooling is very nice.

Ken

A good size for pics on the forum is between 100-500K each. The forum software will create a thumbnail image, and if members don't mind the size, they will click. The absolute easiest way to reduce a picture is with MS Powertoys Image Resizer. You can right click on any picture and automatically resize and rename it. If you want more options for photo editing, use Irfanview, a free graphics editor. You can select one pic or a zillion and resize in proportion or not, plus crop pics, edit out red eye, tint, put text on the pic, make slideshows, convert, optimize, etc. etc. either one at a time or in batches.

Welcome to leatherworker.net, oldgringo, and do NOT eat the doughnuts. (There have been rumors that some people let their dogs lick them!) Have some cookies instead. Your saddle is beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Johanna

Hi OG welcome to the forum, glad you found us, nice looking saddle you made there, and i like the kick board for mounting on the side of the draw down good idea, Don

You found a friendly bunch. As you noted lots of knowledge and sharing here. Like your work. Welcome!

Welcome. Glad to have you join and to see your work. A lot of nice tooling on that one.

OldGringo,

Welcome to the group. Do not eat any cyber doughnuts offered by any members, especially from ND. He lives pretty far from town, and takes the dog with him to pick them up. Where about in NoCal are you? There are a few of us here, Ryan Cope and I both live in Oakdale. In reference to the spring grass, we are getting a pretty good little rain this morning. Hopefully this takes the lid off the dry fall. A little sun then and we are set. The only grass growing seems to be in the driveway at our house.

Beautiful saddle!

I am going through much the same with my girl, she is now at the age where horses are still cool as long as there is a parade ride in. However when it's time to clean the trailer out suddenly they are not so cool anymore.... :head_hurts_kr:

Hey Oldgringo

It looks like everyone responded to your questions except. "What is an emoticon?"....

The little faces here are emoticons..... :blahblahblah::eusa_naughty::head_hurts_kr::thumbsdown::coffeecomp::smashcomp: :beer: :cheers::gathering: :deadhorse:

My My I feel like I just made 11 new friends. How nice.

Thank you David for telling me that the funny little faces are emoticons.

MaxxEmpire: When my daughter was riding with me a lot it was a very special time for us as we really developed our relationship. But now that she would rather duck hunt, that closeness is still there. So I'm very grateful for those times. But hey, if there's a brandin' to go to, she's still right there. She's quite the heeler. Plus we can use her big 'ole boyfriend on the ground and save my back.

Bruce: Oakdale - yes took a mare down to the Knights Ferry area to breed many years ago. I live in Sutter County in the shadow of the smallest mountain range in the world - the Sutter Buttes - an extinct pliocene era volcano. Very unique place with many and various oddities. Privately owned for the most part. One may go on hikes with the Middle Mountain Foundation to see the interior. Or if you're one lucky cowboy you get to chase cattle through the Blue Oaks. That was indescribable joy. But alas we lost that lease where we had Spring calvers. I can still ride there, but no calves to tag

Regis, Billsotx, and Don 101: Thank you for the kind words on the saddle.

Johanna: Thank you for the wonderful information on doing pictures and such. I will endeavor to use that info and be a good member, but like most of us, time is more valuable than money. My time just for doing this little post is currently robbing me of much needed sleep. So much to do, so little time.

Beaverslayer, Horsehair Braider and Mr. Freak: Thank you for the compliments on the saddle. But pictures are one thing, seeing it live is another. And it was built with an instructor looking over my shoulder, helping and correcting me the whole way. And Hairbraider, it sounds funny now, but at the time that I roped that dog, it was too late. He turned the bunch of pairs coming into the corrall and it took us about an hour to run them down again and headed back to it. But hey, its a good still agood story.

So thanks one and all. And attached below is a very poor picture of saddle No 2. Made with very minimal help from my instructor. Doesn't have the horn wrap on it yet. A Bowman tree. Saddle No.1 is a Wade tree. Good night and talk to you all soon.

100_0618.JPG

post-5415-1198044355_thumb.jpg