JAM

Looking for marbled chaps hides sources

Can anyone direct me to sources for marbled or interesting chaps hides?

I'm told by a client that she has seen a custom chaps maker, who travels to big cutting shows, with a big book of hide samples that include marbled and specialty hides. That guy must have consistent sources - so how can I find those sources?

Thanks for any leads -

Julia

Sheridan Leather Outfiter is a good source for chap leather. I have ordered several hides in the last month and one has a marbled texture to it. I am not at home right now but later today I will post the contact info and the name of the leather so you can order. May even post a picture of the chaps I made with it as the customer has not picked them up yet.

Randy

Try Hide House they have a big selection. That is what I take to shows. There is a company called Fern-Thatcher that is close to me they sale alot of sides PM me and I will get you the number.

Ash

Hey Julia, Bob used to have tons of marbled chap sides. I never cared too much for them, and at one time it seemed it was about all he had. Wonder who his source is? I've even helped unpack them, but I can't recall a label.

i have 1 that i thind is a light brown with dark brown marbleing

I've had some luck taking a black chap hide and over oiling it with neatsfoot oil. I then place the the other hide grain down on the black chap hide and rolling it up tight. Then just let it sit and have the oil do the work for you. The time really varies depending on how much surface contact there is and how much oil you use. It's just an idea you might want to try when you have some extra time on your hands.

Frank

Siegel of California had that leather a couple of years ago, I got three sides of it - GORGEOUS stuff, really nice. you will have to call them to see if they still have it, (800) 862-8956.

Kate

Depends on how heavy you're looking for. The Leather Guy had some stuff the other day in an "antiqued" or "marbled" brown tones. Nice looking 3 oz or so. They're in the directory.