rawcustom

Custom Skiving Knife

Okay, I know it's bad policy to join a forum and have your first post an item for sale, but I've read this forum numerous times as a guest so hopefully that counts for something. Short background about me: I've been a knifemaker all my life, and even though I pushed myself into a professional career, it's always been a means to support my knifemaking...and all the other living expenses. I was forced into leatherwork by the need to build a sheaths for knives, and I was never impressed by the few I had made by others. After a brief hiatus in my knifemaking career I returned and began focusing more on my leatherwork than before. I immediately found a shortage in quality cutting tools such as head knives and skivers. Rather than support a Chinese labor camp I decided it would be best just to build my own.

I am now in a unique situation of having made myself a leather skiving knife and deciding I can get by with just my head knife as I could use some funds more than my skiver. This isn't quite as dramatic as it sounds since whenever times are good again I will just make myself another. Anyway to complicate the matter I know very few leatherworkers so I thought this forum to be a good place to find someone that can use a high quality skiver.

The skiver is 6.5" total length to tip with the blade being 1.5" wide x 0.115" K110 (an improved D2 produced by Bohler Uddeholm of Austria). It has been professionally heat treated, including cryo treatment, by Peters Heat Treat to a tested hardness of 61Rc. The handle is rosewood with the back half of the spine consisting of a G10 alignment spacer. It is double through pinned with 1/8" 304ss. I built this knife for myself so the rosewood is not exhibition grade, but the construction is completely solid, built for unfailing use. The design is my own, after experimenting and research for something a little different than the generic pattern. The last pic includes my headknife for size reference. The headknife is not for sale.

$175

post-42611-0-14522000-1371311471_thumb.j

post-42611-0-86640100-1371311476_thumb.j

post-42611-0-92188600-1371311481_thumb.j

post-42611-0-72229800-1371311489_thumb.j

Great to see someone who knows what side to put the bevel on. I'll take it, let me know the how and where of payment. You cn send Paypal invoice to artvanhecke at gmail dot com if that is ok for you.

Art

Sounds good. Item is SOLD.

Damn Art! You beat me to it!! Beautiful knife :thumbsup:

Maybe you can get Reid to make you one, If not, Terry Knipshield also makes a fine skiver.

Art

Damn Art! You beat me to it!! Beautiful knife :thumbsup:

Maybe seller's remorse, but I miss my skiver and decided it was a fun pattern to make. I think I might make a few more.

If you would like one let me know. Also if you would like to see more of my work before committing I have quite a few pics on my facebook page.

Thanks.

link to your FB page?