Sign in to follow this  
Anacott Steel

Making A Strop

Hey guys - im looking at make a strop - leather glued to a wooden board. I've researched here and in other places and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to which side of the leather should be facing up (ie the side that you will use). Any definitive opinions out there ? I plan to use jeweler's rouge on the strop.

as always - appreciate any help.

cheers

1334989035[/url]' post='244594']

People use both sides depending on personal preference. The flesh side generally more abrasive.

Thanks Hellfire. In that case ll make it half flesh and half hair side up and see how I go.

Cheers

Don

Thanks Hellfire. In that case ll make it half flesh and half hair side up and see how I go.

Cheers

Don

I use both, flesh side for stone mark removal, hair side for final polish.

Hey guys - im looking at make a strop - leather glued to a wooden board. I've researched here and in other places and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to which side of the leather should be facing up (ie the side that you will use). Any definitive opinions out there ? I plan to use jeweler's rouge on the strop.

as always - appreciate any help.

cheers

blue horseshoe loves the grain--------

pete

(LOVE your name!)

I use both, flesh side for stone mark removal, hair side for final polish.

Cheers Wareagle - many thanks.

blue horseshoe loves the grain--------

pete

(LOVE your name!)

Pete thanks for the inside info - lets just keep the SEC out of this.....

I use neither. Why? Because the leather will give and eventually round the corners of your blade. Use something hard and flat. I use the wood board, and glue a strip of manilla folder to it and rub in my polishing compound to that. Keeps corners nice and sharp!

Marlon

I use neither. Why? Because the leather will give and eventually round the corners of your blade. Use something hard and flat. I use the wood board, and glue a strip of manilla folder to it and rub in my polishing compound to that. Keeps corners nice and sharp!

Marlon

Same here, only I use card stock (I have easy access to it) for the same reasons. I started out with a leather one and once I was told to try this I found the heel and edges of the blade came out much truer than using leather.

Leather on wood. 3-4-5 oz. leather with the grain side up is what I prefer..... for now. Been using the same strop for about 37 years. Made tons of em and experimented with all kinds of compounds and sprays and always come back to leather and Cr2O3. If you want a firmer, more rigid leather, melt some paraffin into it then put your compound over that.

Now, that being said, there is one of our members going OCD on strops, strop theory, fabrication techniques, backings, finishing, etc., and I'm expecting when he has time he will post some results of his exhaustive work. Based on his results I may change my mind on what to try next...if anything. I'll leave him unnamed, but I think most know who it is.

PZ

Leather on wood. 3-4-5 oz. leather with the grain side up is what I prefer..... for now. Been using the same strop for about 37 years. Made tons of em and experimented with all kinds of compounds and sprays and always come back to leather and Cr2O3. If you want a firmer, more rigid leather, melt some paraffin into it then put your compound over that.

Now, that being said, there is one of our members going OCD on strops, strop theory, fabrication techniques, backings, finishing, etc., and I'm expecting when he has time he will post some results of his exhaustive work. Based on his results I may change my mind on what to try next...if anything. I'll leave him unnamed, but I think most know who it is.

PZ

Hey Paul,

Is the Cr203 the green bars you have on the http://www.leatherwranglers.com website or something else I might want to check out? Been using the green bars for 2 years now and like the results. Haha, just reminded myself I need to order a 1/8" angle blade from you too...speaking of ordering, when are yuo going to list the new knives like the Tanto on the website?!?

Cheers,

Chris

Hey Paul,

Is the Cr203 the green bars you have on the http://www.leatherwranglers.com website or something else I might want to check out? Been using the green bars for 2 years now and like the results. Haha, just reminded myself I need to order a 1/8" angle blade from you too...speaking of ordering, when are yuo going to list the new knives like the Tanto on the website?!?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

Yes sir, that's it.

Call me anytime and I'll get your blade done ASAP. I've got plenty of blanks ready to grind.

As far as the new releases, I was trying to hold off until the Sheridan show but Shop Talk got to us and wanted "something new" so we gave them a little sampling. I'm hoping to have a few available at Sheridan but I have to fill orders first........then Rosa will put em up at the web site.

THANK YOU,

PZ

Edited by pabloz

Chris,

Yes sir, that's it.

Call me anytime and I'll get your blade done ASAP. I've got plenty of blanks ready to grind.

As far as the new releases, I was trying to hold off until the Sheridan show but Shop Talk got to us and wanted "something new" so we gave them a little sampling. I'm hoping to have a few available at Sheridan but I have to fill orders first........then Rosa will put em up at the web site.

THANK YOU,

PZ

Thanks, I'll give you a buzz later tonight when I get to the shop. I won't be able to make to Sheridan but that probably works out...gives me a bit more time to figure out which I want next, the Round knife, the Deeter or the Tanto...decisions, decisions! ;)

I'm getting ready to make a strop bat. A 2x2 piece of lumber from Lowe's, probably 16" long. Spun on the lathe to turn the first 6" into a contoured handle, then the last 10" gives me 4 sides to adhere leather to. 2 sides will be rough side out, the other 2 will be smooth side. Each pair of sides will get compound, green on 2, white on the other.

OK, Grizz, . . . what is the brand name of the green, . . . and the white?

I've never really gotten into knives & such, . . . but I do have one project coming up where I will need to polish and sharpen one up real nice, . . . this (if I read everyone correct) just may be the ticket for that job.

Appreciate the help, may God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I picked up my green and white bars from Sears. I work there and get a discount so it was easy to pick them up to try before I spent money on higher quality compound.

You can get some good green and white from www.jantzsupply.com